Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Pizza Rack For Large BGE

Options
C130
C130 Posts: 56
I know this has been discussed but can't find the thread I'm looking for. Currently, I cook my pizzas one at a time with the placesetter legs down and the pizza stone sitting on top of the placesetter. Pizzas are turning out very consistent and are great, no complaints. I'd like to be able to cook two pizzas at the same time so I bought a pizza rack at my local BGE store. The rack alone was $50 which was ridiculous but the problem is I would have to make the pizza much smaller than the stone to be able to slide it through the rack opening.  I haven't used the rack so I plan on returning it because of the design. 

Can anyone one recommend a good pizza rack where I can cook two pizzas at a time? I remember a thread that had a link to a business that sold pizza stones and I believe racks for the BGE but I can't find it now.  I have the large egg so any recommendations appreciated. 
Scott
Magnolia, TX
LBGE
Mini Max

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Put a grid between your PS and first stone and the rig up an "adjustable" type rig wth bolts, washers and nuts and put another grid with a stone on top. Never done it, but seems like cheap reasonable solution. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Why the need to cook 2 at a time?  If the idea is to shave a few minutes off the overall cooking time is it really worth it?  With 2 stones you're increasing your preheat time & your cook time & probably getting 2 pies of a lower quality than a single pie cooked alone.  Seems like creating several problems in an effort to solve one problem
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I use the Roswell Rig for doing two pizzas at the same time, it uses two 14" BGE pizza stone and I love it.

http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-roswell-rig.html

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• C130
    Options
    You're probably right and I was just thinking it might not be worth the hassle. My current setup is producing excellent results so I probably shouldn't mess with it. While I'd like to be able to do two at a time it's really not a big deal. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I get the same results with the rig and when I have family over for pizza we don't have to wait on the next pizza, we usually eat out on the deck and I can just keep the pizzas coming and people eating. If it's just the wife and I the rig is also used because it gets a pizza nice and high in the dome and browns the toppings nicely.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    there's a flow to baking multiple pies, once you put the first one on the egg you begin stretching the next dough ball & you have the luxury of time to do it correctly.  By the time you get it on your peel & add sauce/cheese/toppings the pie that's baking is nearing completion, then you open it up & make the transfer then repeat... one perfectly stretched, topped & baked pie at a time with little down time between each one
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • C130
    edited May 2016
    Options

I use the Roswell Rig for doing two pizzas at the same time, it uses two 14" BGE pizza stone and I love it.

http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-roswell-rig.html

That's the one I bought. I started to use it but at $50 I wasn't for sure I'd like it and was planning on returning it. I was just thinking the bottom pizza might be hard to put in or take out but I assume it's not a issue? Part of my reasoning was I originally bought a pizza stone that is about 15" and it won't fit in the rack. When I bought the rack I bought a 14" BGE stone also. I guess I need to buy another 14 stone to make it work. Luckily, my wife loves the food I cook otherwise she would have killed me by now with all of the accessories I've bought. We have two kids and my teenage son eats the first pizza by the time I'm done with the second. 

We are going to the Space City Eggfest this weekend. It'll be our first Eggfest so we are really looking forward to it. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max