Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Dealer Wants to Demo Egg

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spring Hen and I have been asked to demo the Big Green Egg for a local dealer. We have about a three hour window to let the Egg show its stuff. One large Egg and a mini will be available.[p]I'm looking for ideas from anyone who may have some experience doing these types of demos. Also, any suggestions for food items, gear, technique, etc. [p]ABT's will definitely be on the list. As will steak. Probably shrimp. Maybe Pizza.[p]I'm thinking I will use the Texas Eggfest University approach and try to cook a lot of different things, explaining as I go to anyone who is interested.[p]Any suggestions will be deeply depreciated.[p]Oh yea, I just ordered more Dizzy Pig for the occasion.[p]Spring "Cooking For The Masses" Chicken
Spring Texas USA[p]

Comments

• SkyRider
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Think you already know what to do...pizza, shrimp, etc, things that cook up fast & are easy to distribute...we do a lot of Pillsbury "demo" cookies too, shows off the heat retention/baking attributes of ceramics...When & where is this taking place???............H.

• Spring Chicken, I cook a great upside down pineapple cake. Just follow your regular recipe etc.[p]Miller

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    SkyRider,
    Cookies sounds good. I may make those in advance.[p]Spring "Cooking Monster" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Miller,
    Pineapple Upside Down cake is a family favorite. We did one on the Egg. Excellent.[p]Spring "Right Side Up" Chicken

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Looks like you have the menu already.[p]Just out curiosity, where and when will this demo take place?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    SkyRider,
    Bahama Blue Pool & Backyard Supply - The Woodlands, Texas, (6777 Woodlands Parkway, Suite 310) October 14th from about noon to 3:00ish. [p]You coming? You know I'll have to put you to work LOL.[p]Spring "It's All About Cooking" Chicken[p]

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]How about some real meat thrown in there? Dizzy Pig's Ginger Lime Chicken skewers are great (and cook quick). I'd also suggest a couple of Santa Maria tri-tip roasts (you can get this recipe from the Foodnetwork website).
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I think you menu sounds good.[p]It might be interesting to ramp up the temps, and show folks how to adjust and peg the desired temps.[p]Could you do an overnight? or start ribs ahead of time? That way, you'd start the demo by opening and showing ribs or a butt that had been cruising merrily at 250 with no fussing. Then serve that, bump temps to the 350 range, do some apps. maybe 450...[p]nudge it again to 600, and do the pizzas. Then go nuke, sear some strip steaks with a hint of smoke, and slice them up.[p]...I hope you are getting some love from the dealer. maybe a discount on a small. or some accessories...[p]J

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    Bahama Blue Pool & Backyard Supply - The Woodlands, Texas, (6777 Woodlands Parkway, Suite 310) October 14th from about noon to 3:00ish. [p]Spring "Just Down The Road" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    stike,
    Nix the overnight cook, at least there at the store. I may do something here and take it up there to start the day off good. Thinking of a Butt and serving some pulled pork sandwiches. Plus, the meat can be kept warm while I'm cooking other critter parts.[p]As for showing how the Egg reacts to temperature control/changes I'll try to do that too. It is definitely an important aspect of Egg cooking.[p]Spring "Big Green Egg Field Test Engineer" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    I haven't cooked the DP Ginger Lime Chicken yet but I've heard that it is good. I'll see what I can do about that. The Tri-tip is also a good idea.[p]Spring "Full-Service Egghead" Chicken

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Spring Chicken, Oh, you've been hanging at the store haven't you.....looking for goodies to fill the chicken coop. Watch out, you may just get a part time job......not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon or two. [p]I've seen you in action, both Fredericksburg and Austin. No doubt the folks in The Woodlands are in for a treat. I suggest you request a margarita machine going full tilt too. [p]Tom
  • SkyRider
    Options
    Sandbagger, If I can go, I'll bring margaritas....but I don't share well.....why dont' you come down? We could set our hair on fire...........H.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Pork tenderloins cook up quick and are mighty tasty. -RP

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Hummmmm!!! Great idea. They rent Margarita Machines too. Maybe I could make it a condition of my temporary employment to supply me with margaritas LOL. It's gonna be hard enough cooking without my rum in hand.[p]Spring "Margarita Inspector" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    AZRP,
    You're right. They do cook up good. I'll add it to the list.[p]Thanks for reminding me.[p]Spring "I Don't Forget Things, I'm Just Making Room For More" Chicken

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Or you can get the recipe for the Santa Maria tri-tip form the Eggs-by-the-Bay Site below.[p]It was good enough there was nothing left of 12 pounds of it at the end of the day.

[ul][li]Santa Maria Style Tri-tip[/ul]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    heres what I do............
    slo cook briskets and pork butts the day before on my cookers at home and in the morning, ice chest 'em, which works well because it gives you stuff to serve while the other things cook.[p]I usually start off with sausage biscuits,
    then pizza, pork loins, chicken on a stick, beef on a stick, hamburger patties, weiners, smoked sausages, and veggies on a stick...........
    I usually finnish off with grilled pineapple and grilled banana's topped with butter and coconut. ( I'll have the little blue bell cups of vanilla ice cream in an ice chest for a surprise )[p]have fun

• Spring Chicken,[p]I put up a recipe for pork and chicken satays on the recipies section. Skewered pork, chicken breast and thigh. About ten minutes to cook a bunch of them.[p]Steve
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    WOW! You just changed this event from a simple demo to a full blown "PARTY!" No wonder folks love you. You feed 'em good. (But I already knew that.)[p]Thanks[p]Spring "Party Animal" Chicken

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I hope for your sake they have some eggs in stock.
    After eating your great Egged food and no chance to buy an Egg on the spot could lead to a mob situation.[p]Spring "killed by hungry mob" Chicken[p]See you there...[p]Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    Ha... There might be a lynch'n for another reason... I cooked bad food. Naaaaa! It'll be good. I had good teachers.[p]Spring "Mob Fodder" Chicken

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Tomato pies are something quick and good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Tomato Pies[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    YB,
    Can't say I've ever had one. Looks good though. What's the recipe?[p]Spring "Red, Round and Plump" Chicken

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Here is the recipe Leroy.
    Larry [p]Tomatoes,bacon and cheese make up this yummy pie.
    1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie shell
    3 medium,ripe tomatoes,sliced
    6 strips bacon,fried and crumbled
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    Bake frozen pie shell following package directions.Preheat egg to 350 degrees.Place tomatoes in bottom of pie shell;top with crumbled bacon.Combine cheese,salt,pepper and mayonnaise;pour over tomatoes.Bake 35 to 40 minutes on a raised grid using a Ceramic Deep Baking Dish

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Could this be turning into a Mini TexasFest?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    Ha... That's a thought, but I doubt that it could meet the strict requirements of the Texas Eggfest rules: that unusually large amounts of beer and rum be consummed well into the evening. LOL[p]But you are encouraged to come see/contribute to the event.[p]Spring "The Show MUST Go On, Even Without Rum" Chicken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    smoked almonds made ahead of time in sample packs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    As with all great Eggfests (I'm told) it's the after party that makes them great.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Hey Leroy,[p] I was always impressed to see them go from searing a small steak to cooking bread and back... I think that would make a good demo! Shows versatility and the wide spectrum of uses. (besides, I love bread with my steak!)[p]How's Spring this fall?[p]David "Trying to visit with the Chicken" Thomas
    Anadarko, OK