Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza directions

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Instead of one post with two questions, I figured I'd do two posts with one question.[p]I have all the equipment I need to bake pizza, now I just need to know how. I've read so much general info I can't remember where I saw the best info, etc. [p]Can someone point me to a site where the process is shown? At this point, I don't need recipies as much as the basics of making pizza.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    if you have both a platesetter and stone, you can put the platesetter legs up on the fire ring (take out the grid), with the stone on top of that. The platesetter will take the brunt of the direct heat, while the stone will still get up to 550-600 (those are my temps).[p]If it is a thick crust, you can cook it by itself (no toppings) a bit, maybe flipping it, so that both sides barely brown. I do that if the crust is somewhat thick, or the toppings are wet/thick.[p]If the dough goes on the stone driectly, use cornmeal on your peel and a little on the stone.[p]If you have a perforated pizza pan or screen, you can use that instead. [p]I always toss a couple sticks of oak in there, not too much. Nice rustic "bertucci's" kinda flavor. [p]Try to keep it at 600 or so for about 15 minutes before throwing the pizza on, and check the crust every 5 minutes, beyond just scoping the top of the pizza.[p]Pizza can be tricky... many a burnt crust and underdone cheese/top. instead of one big pizza, maybe try 3 smaller ones.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]From the recipe archives, check out the wisdom of our all time master of pizza - Spin[p]K~G

[ul][li]Pizza by Spin[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I have a web page of hints and temps that might help you:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Flashback Bob, Placesetter in / Rack on place setter / Pizza stone on Rack / I spend about 45 minutes bringing the egg slowly up to 600. Slowly so the whole egg gets hot. Coarse corn meal onto peal or cookie sheet. Pizza what ever dough or shell you use ( after a year I have a dough recipe I really like and my pizza are round )onto peal. Sauce onto shell fixings onto sauce. Slide pizza onto stone. 8 to 12 minutes cooking. They get better each time. FF