Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips & Chunks

Options
erikjs71
erikjs71 Posts: 69
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
Do you add chips or chunks during the pre-heat or right before the cook?  I know you want to get a clean/ clear smoke coming out, but when chunks and chips are added, the smoke goes grey again.

Also, soaked or un-soaked??

I bought some Weber Hickory Chunks at HD.. They are pretty good, and WAAAY cheaper than BGE chunks.. 

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Wait until smoke from lump goes clear and Egg is at target temperature.

Add chunks, un-soaked. Position plate setter, drip pan and grid.

Wait for target temperature and throw that hunk-o-meat on the grill.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I chunk right before cooking,no soaking. We like lots of smoke
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I place some chunks on the fringe of the fire area, some buried below, some further out.  I don't wait for smoke to clear before putting in AR, ceramics, whatever.  It clears as everything is coming up to temp.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I do one or the other or both always right before cooking. Never soak anymore as that myth has been dispelled. If I want very little smoke I do some chips if I want a long smoke I do chunks. If I want a really heavy smoke I will do both to get that extra blast from the chips up front. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    No soak

mix in either is good
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Buy a few logs and chop them up... Much cheaper 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    For Lon cooks, mix unsoaked smoke wood *chips or chunks) thru the lump, being careful to keep them away from the lump ignition point, usually towards the top front. Smoke will be there as the fire works thru the lump. 
    When using the Weber, I add smoke wood when the food goes on, chunks only and never soaked. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • UncleBilly
    Options
    I've been buying the Weber brand chunks from Home Depot.  Typically go with chunks positioned around the lump &/or buried.  No soaking required.  I light the lump, as it approaches temp I add the chunks (if not burying them) and then add the ceramics and then the food. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • erikjs71
    Options
    henapple said:
    Buy a few logs and chop them up... Much cheaper 
    This is exactly what I need to do.  I used a piece of old firewood (oak), and chopped it up with an axe.. and I literally haven't gotten the same flavor since.. nothing has beat oak.. So why am I buying chopped up chunks of wood??? LOL

Good call @henapple. thanks!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Chunk.  
    No Soak.  
    3-4 for brisket or pork butts.
    1 small chunk for chicken.
    2 for ribs.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • erikjs71
    Options

I do one or the other or both always right before cooking. Never soak anymore as that myth has been dispelled. If I want very little smoke I do some chips if I want a long smoke I do chunks. If I want a really heavy smoke I will do both to get that extra blast from the chips up front. 
    I wonder why that has been debunked?  I mean you think it would burn slower and smolder..  just curious your thoughts.. I haven't been soaking lately... too much of a pain.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @erikjs71. Water can't penetrate the wood like one would think.  It takes days not hours for the water soak in.  If if you try it with chips, they can still be dry on the inside after a few hours.

Also, the eggs cooking environment is oxygen deprived and the wood smolders.  That's why the coals/lump is able to remain a low temperature cooking (225 F).  If they didn't smolder the lump would burn wide open and your egg would reach nuclear temperatures every cook.  No need to soak to naturally have the wood chips/chunks smolder.

Ever notice with chips that once you open the egg, they almost instantly ignite into a flame?  Oxygen was introduced in a larger volume allowing the wood to catch fire.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • erikjs71
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @erikjs71. Water can't penetrate the wood like one would think.  It takes days not hours for the water soak in.  If if you try it with chips, they can still be dry on the inside after a few hours.

Also, the eggs cooking environment is oxygen deprived and the wood smolders.  That's why the coals/lump is able to remain a low temperature cooking (225 F).  If they didn't smolder the lump would burn wide open and your egg would reach nuclear temperatures every cook.  No need to soak to naturally have the wood chips/chunks smolder.

Ever notice with chips that once you open the egg, they almost instantly ignite into a flame?  Oxygen was introduced in a larger volume allowing the wood to catch fire.

Awesome.. thanks so much!!  Great comment!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm in the camp that believes that wood needs to burn clean before cooking. Just like you let the lump clear its dark dirty smoke. So if I add chips I add them about 15 minutes ahead of cook time just as the lump is clearing to its thin blue smoke. For long cooks I add chunks through the lump like others and the dark smoke clears at the same time lump does. I believe you don't need to see smoke to have it. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009