Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - WiFi

Options
Hey folks. I am looking to expand my wifi coverage in my home. I have read and read and read am I keep coming back to adding an Apple Timecapsule to my living area and an AirPort Extreme to the basement. Does anyone have any experience -good or bad- that they could share?  Thanks in advance. 

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I have that same set up. TimeCapsule on the first floor with an Airport Extreme on the second floor in my office. Covers my modest 2500 sq feet well. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Have you looked at the wifi mesh network systems? I have an Amped Wireless extender that works pretty well to cover the house, garage, and yard but as I'm automating more of the house stuff, I may need to upgrade too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    I would lean toward one is the mesh networks.   I have used AmpliFi.  It works well. 

Here are some other options...
    https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I am thinking about mesh so I can put one in the garage and certain dead spots in the house. I have a time capsule and it works well. Auto-transfers pics from mobile devices for back up, along with computer back ups daily. I use it as an extender and have a D-Link in the basement. Zero complaints and essentially plug-n-play.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You can put in wifi extenders, but those typically are only best for stationary electronics like a TV or sprinkler controllers. Otherwise with something like a laptop or phone, you will lose signal going from one area of the house to another because the device might still be trying to connect to a now weak signal from the extender on the other end of the house. I've done it where the main router and another wired WiFi access point had the same name, same password, but different channel. Made it easy for a device to connect to but the mobile devices would sometimes have a problem like mentioned above.

A WiFi Mesh is supposed to solve that problem I mentioned. The mesh has multiple WiFi access points (nodes) that can be wireless but your mobile device only connects to the nearest one. The mesh router knows where your device is to send data through the right nodes. It works the same way that the internet knows where to send data while you are surfing. You can add multiple mesh devices in order to fill dead spots and extend your range. My brother has a mesh in his house and loves the coverage he gets.

I do not have a mesh. I put in a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router on the second floor. It has had great signal coverage inside my home, only the very extremes of the house have an occasional complete signal loss. And I've got a pretty big house. I also have a big yard so there's no interference from other WiFi signals from the neighbors.

If I were putting in all new equipment, I would go with a mesh.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Check these out. I'm about to put 1 in the middle  my house soon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    edited August 2017
    Options
    They also make some mesh stuff. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    If you require an Ethernet connection, but are not already wired for cat 5/6, consider using MoCA.  I use it an it works great.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I will be watching this thread  as I have yet to install in home wifi.  I haven't read up on any of the latest devices.  We did an addition and i had the builder run Ethernet to boxes in the ceiling on each floor so i could install PoE access points in the ceilings.  If at all possible i get ethernet to TVs, computers, game consoles, etc.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    how big are your guys houses? Mine is 2 floors 1250 sq/ft per floor. I have one modem/wifi router and I get great wifi coverage everywhere, even 100' away in the garage??
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    texaswig said:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512
    When we renovated, I prewired the house with ethernet.  I have two of these for 3300 sq ft, and they work great.

If I didn't have a prewired set up, I would probably go with the Orbi or google wifi.
    NOLA
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I have an apple airport router that covers most of my house 2200 sqft. In the master bath and out on the patio by the pool I did not get good signal, these were the farthermost points from the router. I added an airport express on the patio and ran Ethernet cable to it from the router and it now replicates the wifi signal from the router. Now the patio and the far back of the house have full wifi signal, I even stream movies from Kodi.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    poster said:
    how big are your guys houses? Mine is 2 floors 1250 sq/ft per floor. I have one modem/wifi router and I get great wifi coverage everywhere, even 100' away in the garage??
    2 story, 7000 sq ft total. The Netgear Highthawk covers almost the whole thing. I use a VPN proxy server for the whole house so I am somewhat limited on the routers I am able to use.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    texaswig said:

Just put those in our office and shop.  Work great.

I have this for the house and have coverage everywhere in and out.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPI5N7U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Ruckus R600 Unleashed Commercial Wireless Access Point bought and installed about 1 1/2 years ago.  Works seamlessly and no noticeable loss of speed no matter how many devices are connected (when the kids visit and have friends over there can be 15 - 20 devices connected including Sonos and the smart TVs).  I work from home so I need a strong and reliable connection and our house has a number of thick stone walls...  so I spent the extra $ and went for a full commercial wireless access point to ensure the ability to easily handle multiple devices and full coverage inside plus the outdoor patio. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    texaswig said:

When we renovated, I prewired the house with ethernet.  I have two of these for 3300 sq ft, and they work great.

If I didn't have a prewired set up, I would probably go with the Orbi or google wifi.

I looked into these some time, as reviews were good and the price was not bad. @texaswig you'll need ethernet for this setup, so add that to the list for The Dodge House plans!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've got google wifi, it's fantastic. Best $ I ever spent. I have three access points. They're connected with Ethernet backhaul. (Basically all connected together with wire.). My 150 Mbps Comcast tests at around 170mbps throughout the house. 

there are some downsides to these easy to use setups. If you need really specific configurations and you're a networking expert you'll find some limitations. I'm not sure if google wifi can do VPNs. And you cannot use your own router with the google system and still use the mesh capabilities. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Had a time capsule and two airport express units for years, and then my time capsules hdd failed. 

Decided to go with the Linksys velop mesh network with 3 units in my house positioning 1 on each floor of the house. Couldn't be happier with it. Excellent wireless coverage and very fast speeds. Only downside to the mesh network is the same thing others have mentioned. If you have very specific networking configuration requirements or things of that sort there is not a lot of room for customization. 

Brandon - Ohio

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    texaswig said:

I have used these as well.   One thing to note...  They have outstanding range.  However there is an *issue* with that range.   At long range your phone/device may connect and receive the signal, but the phone/device may not be powerful enough to send back anything.  

When I get in my car at the office I am still "connected" to the WiFi but nothing works.   I have to turn off the WiFi on the phone or what until I am truly out of range [and kick over to 4G/3G/etc]

Just something to think about if you are hoping to get some coverage outside the house.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    smak said:
    texaswig said:

I have used these as well.   One thing to note...  They have outstanding range.  However there is an *issue* with that range.   At long range your phone/device may connect and receive the signal, but the phone/device may not be powerful enough to send back anything.  

When I get in my car at the office I am still "connected" to the WiFi but nothing works.   I have to turn off the WiFi on the phone or what until I am truly out of range [and kick over to 4G/3G/etc]

Just something to think about if you are hoping to get some coverage outside the house.

Depends which model you have.  The less expensive models don't cover all the spectrums.  The Pro model quoted is quite reliable.
    NOLA
  • texaswig
    Options
    @caliking I've been making plans for the building that's what brought me to ubiquiti equipment. I started by looking at wifi mesh.  I think I've talked myself into doing wired poe access points. Here's what their mesh products looks like. Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY?th=1&psc=1

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Here all Unify by Ubiquity except for router which is a box running pfSense. Two UAP-AC-Pro an 8 port POE, and 16 and 8 port POE+ switches. The first switch is at the head of the line connected to the Internet and various devices, including our home automation headless computer, and the 16 port which is in a central can in one of our walkin closets. This switch powers most of our cameras, one UAP-AC-PRO and various runs to in wall Ethernet jacks and to the 3rd switch, the 8 port POE+ which powers our IR PTZ cameras and the other UAP-AC-PRO. 

By lowering the signal strength on both bands of each UAP and using steering, all devices hand off very well. Not to be confused with ZF or Zero Handoff which doesn't work very well.  

Unify products are commercial grade at prosumer prices. Not exactly plug-n-play but not too difficult, either.

Note that if you use the LR version of their access point, the LR standing for long range, you can experience what some have described: that the AP can connect to your device but your device doesn't have a strong enough radio to reach the AP (well a little more to it). That said, use the PRO models. 

I have purchased and used various consumer router/APs and even repeaters, which if used reduces your bandwidth by 50% to it's connected clients. Was always trying to increase speed. When I stumbled on Unify, well as others have said, highly recommended. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • texaswig
    Options
    @JNDATHP that sounds like a good setup. I'm gonna have some poe cameras also. I plan to stay away from the LR units. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The ubiquiti amplifi system also looked nice. I would have considered getting three of the routers, and configuring one as the router and the others as mesh access points with wired backhaul. People seem to really like the ubiquiti stuff. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • texaswig
    Options
    @blind99 from whay I've read the amplifi system  is a little more plug and play. Less custom features. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Full ubiquiti in my house and I just did my neighbor’s house.  Never go back to consumer grade again.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    smak said:
    texaswig said:

Your little itty bitty cell phone with a super tiny antennae connects to cell towers miles away.  How is this possible?  Well, the tower has an antennae that sends and receives well.  The amount of broadcast power is limited by law so systems rely on dB gain through efficient antennae.  Bottom line, any system will send and receive fairly equally.

If you're still "connected" in the parking lot, that means there's enough of a connection to hang on to, although useless, or the existing connection just has not "timed out".

Commercial stuff relies on expensive antennae, home coverage depends on multiple access points and the mesh system is a solution to the high expense of commercial systems.
    Options
    I probably just made all that up.
    Options
    You did, he's right. I can explain at BCIV.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm running a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and a UniFi AP AC Pro.  It's legit...it's incredibly stable and my uptime is over a year at this point.  Will never go back to consumer grade set ups.  

I did run Cat6 from my network closet to my attic to make the installation more clean.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....