Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mojo Criollo Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

have you tried this with the skinless thighs?

I haven't. Give it a shot, the flavor is delicious!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ThrasherIII
    Options
    sense their is no bone and the thigh is more open to the marinate any where from 30 mins to 2 hours should be fine. will try this for sure
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,093
    Options
    Colour me interested :).

The only downside of visiting the USA and being out of wifi in Yellowstone was missing posts like this. Added to the list.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Several years ago, on @cookn biker's recommendation, I bought a bottle of Goya Mojo Criollo, marinated some chicken thighs in it for about 4-5 hours and then egged them at 400° raised direct with some cherry wood for smoke.They were delicious and looked pretty good too. The cherry gives GREAT color!

I don't buy Goya any more because of the sodium, but today, I decided to mix up my own marinade and give it a whirl. It's been so long since I did the last batch, I don't really remember the taste, just that they were great! So are these. Mixed up the ingredients in my new Ninja Master Prep that I just bought due to @NecessaryIndulg recommendation. Thanks, Kristi! I didn't think to take a pic of the marinade, but it looked remarkably like Goya's version.

Anyway, here's today's effort. A few thighs and a split breast thrown in for good measure...
    As I said, I don't really remember the last batch, but it could NOT have been any better than this! It was absolutely terrific! Served with sautéed asparagus and the last of the potato salad I made the other day.

Marinade recipe for anyone interested:

2/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
       OR use 1 cup Naranja Agria (sour orange) if you can find it (I didn't try, I just used standard lemon and orange juice.)
    10-12 garlic gloves
    1 tsp salt (I used less)
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Blend for 30 seconds and pour over chicken in zip bag. Marinate in fridge for 4-24 hours.

Hope you try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks for lookin'! 
    The Goyo is my go to for chicken and steak tacos, fajitas, etc.  it's ridiculously good
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    1WVU said:
    The Goyo is my go to for chicken and steak tacos, fajitas, etc.  it's ridiculously good
    For me, a home-brew for stuff like this is always preferable to a commercial mix. BTW, while I did use fresh squeezed lemon juice, the OJ was from a carton (not from concentrate though). Better with fresh squeezed OJ? Probably. Better still with sour oranges? Probably.

Anyway, now you know how to make your own. Also ridiculously good. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,542
    Options
    Q thanks for sharing... looks very tasty!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That chicken looks killer!

I've never tried this type of marinade, somehow hadn't appealed to me, but you've certainly gotten me interested.  There's a Latin market near me -- I've seen the bottled product, never saw the bitter oranges themselves but I wasn't looking for them, either.  I can't believe they don't have them.  They have produce I've never seen or heard of and have no idea what to do with it or even what it is.  I bet they have those.  I'll have to give this a shot.

Thanks for posting it!
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    I have a sour orange tree in my mom's house (where i grew up).. great for marinades 
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I have a bottle of Goya Mojo in my pantry that I used once, way too salty so there it sits. I will have to give it a try with your recipe, thanks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I have a bottle of Goya Mojo in my pantry that I used once, way too salty so there it sits. I will have to give it a try with your recipe, thanks. 
    Hope you like it. WAY too much sodium in the Goya to suit my doc, not to mention my reconditioned taste buds, though I don't recall thinking so when I first used it. The recipe called for 1 tsp, I used 3/4 tsp and will probably use 1/2 tsp next time.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    Those look amazing, Michael. I'm saving your recipe. How do you reheat the thighs? I ate a couple leftover thighs from the cold for lunch and didn't like them much - too fatty, even though I had removed visible fat. I watched a video where the skin is removed, fat scraped off the skin and repositioned, but I don't think I'd go through that, may try it once if I can re-find the video.
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Another must cook to add to the list.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Those look amazing, Michael. I'm saving your recipe. How do you reheat the thighs? I ate a couple leftover thighs from the cold for lunch and didn't like them much - too fatty, even though I had removed visible fat. I watched a video where the skin is removed, fat scraped off the skin and repositioned, but I don't think I'd go through that, may try it once if I can re-find the video.
    Thanks, Beth. I've never bothered with the fat scraping thing either. Probably not a bad idea though.

I have been reheating in a toaster oven at 350°. Crisps up the skin nicely. I've also nuked 'em briefly and then hit 'em with a propane torch to crisp. Toaster oven is better, torch is quicker.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Another must cook to add to the list.
    Go for it, Joan. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Thanks, Beth. I've never bothered with the fat scraping thing either. Probably not a bad idea though.

I have been reheating in a toaster oven at 350°. Crisps up the skin nicely. I've also nuked 'em briefly and then hit 'em with a propane torch to crisp. Toaster oven is better, torch is quicker.
    Wonder if it would crisp up as well in a regular oven, no toaster oven. We have a "speedcook" function on our microwave that uses halogen/radiant heat with a microwave boost. I can make a large baked potato with crispy skin in 8 minutes, so might try that. Or there's always the heavy duty heat gun. Hah.
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker