Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Wings: still learning...

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I tried Georgia Red Wings today, only 24h or so, not the recommended 50 hour marinade, and they were really good, but boy, I overdid them!  I was getting frustrated at how long it was taking to get the Egg up to 400°, so I put them on around 300° indirect, eventually got them up to 400°, and because they had been at a lower temp for a while, I didn't even look at them until 45 minutes, the recommended time for 400°, and WOW they were overcooked!  I also overdid the apple chips I scattered in.  It's been a long time since I used chips, usually use chunks, but I wanted to try apple and all I had was chips, but I used too much.

They were really tasty anyway, but another time I'll sure check on them earlier, and use a lot less wood for smoking.  Been doing this for years, but I'm still learning!  (My wife hates wings, so this is only my 2nd attempt at wings, but still...)

Comments

• ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    I learned that "too much smoke" lesson too, just last week. I initially thought that I would throw the whole lot into the garbage can, but decided to keep them and after a day in the fridge, decided that they were pretty tasty after all. Yours look a lot better than mine.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    As long as your learning your doing just fine!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Believe it or not, I think wings are one of the most difficult cooks to master on the egg.  I do a lot of experimenting with very mixed results.  I've tried the Georgia Red Wings twice, and both times I crashed and burned to the point that my dog wouldn't eat them.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Direct-Raised-@400
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Direct-Raised-@400
    I'd say 375, bout 20 minutes, turn, check in 15 for temp and desired char. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Great thing is you still have an Egg and there're more wings where they came from. Try, try again! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    They look good to me! I too made the mistake of too much wood my first time last month, but like Ronw9471 said the were much better the next day for me after sitting in the fridge. Not sure why, but much less harsh smoke taste the next day. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I've not tried wings on my Egg yet. My "go to" for years has been an olive oil and spice rub followed by an indirect cook on the Weber. I've never checked the temp but I'd imagine it's around 275-300 or so. I cook them slow so most of the fat renders out and the meat is falling apart done. The skin isn't crisp but it's very tender and flavorful. It's not competition approved but boy do they eat nice. Perhaps I'll do a batch on the Egg this weekend.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful and encouraging comments!  I love the idea of not having to laboriously flip each and every one of a bunch of wings, so I'm hoping to make the indirect method work for that.  We'll see.  If I can't, I may try direct and flipping.  Two clear things I learned this time: I used way too many wood chips, and I did not check on how they were doing early enough.

I actually enjoyed eating them, anyway -- the first time as-is, and the second time dipped in a little bbq sauce.  They were overdone, a little bit dry, but still pretty good eating.  Hopefully it'll only go up from here!  :)

Thanks again!  I really appreciate all of the help on this forum!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    wings got better for me using cazzy's wing placement method with drummies on the outside, wingettes toward the center over a drip pan. more even cooking this way. the recipe is good too

Ingredients needed
    • Chicken wings (whole or cut to flappers and drumettes)
    • 1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup Mirin Rice Wine
    • 1 tbsp fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
    • 1 tsp chili flakes
    *I use this as a base and multiply quantities based on need. 

Making Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce

In a sauce pan...bring soy, brown sugar and mirin rice wine to a boil and leave on heat till brown sugar has dissolved.  Stir regularly and throughout after boil to avoid scorching. Low heat and add ginger and chili flakes.  Simmer for 10 min while stirring regularly.  Remove from heat and refrigerate. 

Marination

Marinate wings for 24 hours in chilled marinade prior to cook (the chili flakes will rise to the top so shake it up). I use a gallon bag to marinate because I like to lay bag flat and flip after 12 hours.  

Cook

Fire up egg and stabilize at 375-400.  I use a adjustable rig with a 16" drip pan and cook above the felt line.  Place drumettes on outside and flappers in the middle because it will be hotter on the outside due to the drip pan.  

This is the anal part but I find it really makes the wings tacky and layers the flavor.  At 5 min, I baste with marinade, then again at 10 min.  At 15, I flip and baste and then baste again at 20 min.  This process is why I use a drip pan cause the marinade will make your lump smoke a undesirable taste into the wings.  Your wings will be at about 145-150 and should really start having a beautiful brownish red color.  Remove at 165...I check each one then remove.  Some may go over a lil but no worry...as you know, our eggs are very forgiving.

Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.  Feel free to ask me any questions. 

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,511
    Options
    Way to keep after them.  Don't let SWMBO's dislike of wings interfere.  Just cook something else for her.
    BTW-National Chicken Wing Day, Saturday July 29th.  Time for more practice   ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Options
    wings got better for me using cazzy's wing placement method with drummies on the outside, wingettes toward the center over a drip pan. more even cooking this way. the recipe is good too... Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.  Feel free to ask me any questions.
    I finished up the wings I made, and as much as I messed them up, they still were actually pretty good when dipped in some BBQ sauce.  Placement might help, but I just had them on way too long, and with too much smoke.

Thanks for the recipe and the technique, and the kind offer!  I'll definitely be cooking some more wings at some point.  Got some jerk chicken marinating at the moment.  I've had enough wings for a little while.  :)
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Son House Pandora station + booze.  It'll be alright. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.