Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My mistake doesn't need to be yours

Options
uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a butt last night on my medium, and did OK, but only because I was here when the fire went out this morning (about out of lump). Refired everything and it finished out well (meat temp never below 180). BUT, I was taking the butt to a coworker, so I heated a brick to 400 deg. in the oven and put it on top of towels in a foam cooler, with more towels and the meat on top of that. It came very close to melting through the foam, and almost ruined my car seat with melted foam before I knew what was happening.
SO---400 is too hot for a brick in a cheap foam cooler, even on towels. All ended well, but only because I was lucky. I don't know how hot it will stand, but my feeling is not very hot.
Barbecuer emptor.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    uncbbq,
    a hot butt (or brisket, or roast), double wrapped in foil, then wrapped in a towel inside a cooler, will stay plenty hot for a number of hours. . ...at 400 degrees, you had an oven going on in there. .. lucky you didn't have a china syndrome in the car. ...[p]

• uncbbq
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Yep, lucky. The butt needed to be held for 8 hours, though, and I was worried about its own heat doing the job. China syndrome is a pretty accurate description of what actually did happen.

• Kevin F
    Options
    uncbbq,[p]A hot water bottle is another great option. Fill it with hot water, stick it in the cooler, and you are good to go for hours.
    [ul][li]Hot Water Bottle[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    uncbbq,
    that 400 degree brick wouldn't only be holding heat, it'd be cooking the butt.[p]for what's it's worth, i had a small brick in my egg, at 250. NOT 400. when i took the butt off, i grabbed the brick and wrapped it in a dishtowel.[p]it melted into the bottom of a rubbermaid cooler.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • uncbbq,
    The max long-term service temperature for expanded polystyrene foam is 167F or 180F intermittent.[p]HTH

• uncbbq
    Options
    stike,
    You know how it goes. If a little is good, then a lot must be better. The curse of the guy. My brick is hotter than yours.

• stike
    Options
    uncbbq,
    but my cooler was thicker. girth is everything

• stike
    Options
    Grillhauberichtlinien,
    have you met the Naked Whiz?
    holy smokes, would be like einstein and fermi at a cocktail party.[p]you know, but less about quantum theory and more about charting cooler holding temps.[p]stike
    the 'not-too-frikkin-smart-one-but-devilishly-handsome'

• uncbbq
    Options
    stike,
    Hear, hear. This forum continues to educate. If we're going to start having real science and data, however, I'm going to have to re-think my approach.[p]Seriously, though, thanks to all for the input.

• NCEgger
    Options
    uncbbq,[p]They don't teach thermodynamics at Chapel Hill. You have to go to N.C. State for that. ;)[p]Just kidding you, I'm glad things worked out.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    ncegger,
    Reminds me of the story about why a pound of NC State student brains cost so much more than a pound of Carolina student brains. I mean, you know how many NC State students it takes to make up a pound a brains? LOL!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p] Actually it's cause they are harder to catch.. They are so busy doing real work.. Now Duke Brains are really expensive..[p].o0(so glad I have that stainless steel container to transport cooked hogs)[p][p]