Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking wings direct with a woo and extended grill

Options
Im new to cooking on a BGE.  I've been waiting almost a month for my placesetter so I cook indirect.  The BGE dealer has no idea when they will be in.  So in the mean time I bought a woo combo with a extended grill because I knew I needed one.  I want to grill up some wings. Can I grill wings direct with the woo and if so at what dome temp. EGG ON! 

Comments

• EggHeadFred
    EggHeadFred Posts: 123
    Options
    Yes you can. I do it all the time. Temp. 375
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    After several years of back-and-forth between indirect and raised direct, I finally landed on raised direct for wings.  If you have the PSWOO2 and extender then that's the ticket.  Run around 375*F or so and flip around every 10-15 minutes (til done) should take around 45-55 mins.  If saucing and finishing on the BGE give 'em around 5 minutes to set the sauce.  If your raised setup gets you to the gasket line only, run a little lighter on the lump load to increase the distance between the fire (burning chicken grease) and the wings.  
    Use the search feature here for any number of wing recipes.  BTW National Chicken Wing Day is July 29th.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would cancel the platesetter and get a stone and spider from the ceramic grill store for your indirects.  that gets you more options like wok cooking, lowering a grid for better searing etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Timba
    Timba Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks lousubcap and Egg Head Fred. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    If you're concerned about raised direct, you can always foil up an old cookie sheet or aluminum pie plate and put that beneath the wings if you have more than one level grid.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've got a Woo and mine has the spider attached so you should just need a stone.   I  cooked wings last weekend and they were my favorite.  Followed the 30 20 10 method.  Here's link to my post with Kudo's to the others whose method I followed.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207287/wings#latest
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen