Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chilli Dogs

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
Hot, lazy Sunday.
Good dogs, can chilli and cheap buns.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I'd crush one...or two..
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Caned chili on Kobe beef hot dogs? Blasphemy....I have a great / simple recipie for a great hot dog chili. Please let me share it with you. 

Only kidding. Love the hot dog.....beautiful meal.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ha!  SRF dogs with can chili and cheepo buns. Love it. That looks great. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Slot dogs!!  I have a weakness for chili cheese dogs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You need some split top buns, my friend! And a chili recipe! And a source for good dogs that doesn't require a mortgage!

Bun pic from The Fresh Loaf...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Solid cook Darian, chili dogs are hard to beat. SRF definitely takes it up a couple of notches.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,488
    Options
    Kobe beef is known for fat evenly and generously distributed throughout an unmolested cut of meat.  Once you grind meat up, you can add as much fat as you want, completely negating the advantage of Kobe.
    I don't get it.   :|  

(Awesome looking chili dogs, though!)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Behind the Tastee Freez
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Carolina Q You nailed it with the split-top buns.  
    Was recently in the north country of New York State and the "Michigans" (dressed hot dogs) up there are a unique and a great recipe, not to mention taste.  The history is quite interesting if into that sort of thing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Behind the Tastee Freez
    Seeing him soon, should be a great night.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2017
    Options

Bimbos, eh?  Were the buns soft & squishy?  Or were they firm? 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Bimbos, eh?  Were the buns soft & squishy?  Or were they firm? 
    Funny...they were very soft.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Botch said:
    Kobe beef is known for fat evenly and generously distributed throughout an unmolested cut of meat.  Once you grind meat up, you can add as much fat as you want, completely negating the advantage of Kobe.
    I don't get it.   :|  

(Awesome looking chili dogs, though!)  
    I don't disagree but I caught them on a good sale and they really are good. 
    Made a quick meal kinda special.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    ... I caught them on a good sale and they really are good. Made a quick meal kinda special.
    I've never tasted them, but I bet they were GOOD!  

It sorta broke my heart, though, seeing hot dogs that I'm guessing were finer than any I've ever had get slopped with that yucky canned chili.  I've tried several brands and they were all completely freaking awful!  Maybe if you grew up with it, I don't know.  I grew up in a town in Michigan where for some reason "Coney Island" chili dogs were a big deal, lots of restaurants all over town sold them, and they were SO good!  Any other kind of chili dog just sort of hurts my heart compared to what it could have been.  I really think that if you try a few home-made hot dog chili recipes and find one you like, you could make a big batch, freeze it in 1-meal pouches, and it wouldn't be a lot more trouble than canned, but SO much better!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Photo Egg said:
    ... I caught them on a good sale and they really are good. Made a quick meal kinda special.
    I've never tasted them, but I bet they were GOOD!  

It sorta broke my heart, though, seeing hot dogs that I'm guessing were finer than any I've ever had get slopped with that yucky canned chili.  I've tried several brands and they were all completely freaking awful!  Maybe if you grew up with it, I don't know.  I grew up in a town in Michigan where for some reason "Coney Island" chili dogs were a big deal, lots of restaurants all over town sold them, and they were SO good!  Any other kind of chili dog just sort of hurts my heart compared to what it could have been.  I really think that if you try a few home-made hot dog chili recipes and find one you like, you could make a big batch, freeze it in 1-meal pouches, and it wouldn't be a lot more trouble than canned, but SO much better!
    I agree on the chili.The can stuff is a last resort. I can make an OK chili that is much better but I just have to pick my battles for freezer space. Between fresh frozen fish, soups that my wife likes and my failure to pass up a great looking steak in the dead meat section keeps the freezer full. Plus the space it takes to keep the freezer packs ready to go in the freezer. And Blue Bell Ice Cream...
    Sacrifices have to be made. this time it was canned chili.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Photo Egg sounds like you need another freezer! 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Caned chili on Kobe beef hot dogs? Blasphemy....I have a great / simple recipie for a great hot dog chili. Please let me share it with you. 

Only kidding. Love the hot dog.....beautiful meal.
    If you don't mind sharing, I would gladly step my game up next time. You had me at simple.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks tasty to me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nice hearty meal right there!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The dogs look great, Darian. I am waiting on the simple chili recipe. I am waaay too chicken to ever try the canned stuff!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Behind the Tastee Freez

I've been a big fan since the days of simply John Cougar. His latest album and tour with Carlene Carter is great. IMO one of the most underrated stars in music today. Have a great time.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The dogs look great, Darian. I am waiting on the simple chili recipe. I am waaay too chicken to ever try the canned stuff!
    I hear you about the canned chili but the average hot dog can't be any better than canned chili.lol
    I remember reading Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" in High School. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Keep a couple of these packets in your pantry.
    https://www.amazon.com/Buffalos-Texas-Brand-Instant-Packet/dp/B0058J5FZ8#customerReviews
    Just need to add ground beef, I actually add twice as much meet as listed.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Those look incredible.  Perfect summer meal!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hard to beat hot dogs on a hot sunny day with a cold beer.  fine with the canned chili, scratching my head at the funny looking bimbo bunns =) if you have more of those fancy dogs, they are screaming for a sonoran style with refried beans, pico, avocado  , pickled japs, and a drizzle of crema
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    It was quick, looks delicious and served it's purpose. Nice job!!
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Focker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Focker said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Behind the Tastee Freez

I've been a big fan since the days of simply John Cougar. His latest album and tour with Carlene Carter is great. IMO one of the most underrated stars in music today. Have a great time.
    Thanks, I will have to check out the new album.  
    Picked up Scarecrow on CD recently at a garage sale for $2.  

Hearing his songs on the radio while cruisin' around town, makes you proud, and feel like you're home.  
    A couple of years ago at the Rock River Valley Eggfest, I was cranking out pies, half-lit, and Pete's friend played Pink Houses, was a really cool "hell yeah" moment I'll never forget.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    Keep a couple of these packets in your pantry.
    https://www.amazon.com/Buffalos-Texas-Brand-Instant-Packet/dp/B0058J5FZ8#customerReviews
    Just need to add ground beef, I actually add twice as much meet as listed.

Thank you.
    I ordered some direct. Much cheaper than Amazon.
    $14.45 for 6 packages shipped to my house with paypal.

http://www.pellicanos.com/texasbrandproducts.html

You paid $14.45 USD
    to Pellicano Specialty Foods, Inc.

1 x Texas Brand 6/2 oz packages$9.45 USD
    Item #: 100
    Subtotal$9.45 USD
    Shipping$5.00 USD
    Handling$0.00 USD
    Total$14.45 USD
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Can't beat a dog like that, even if there are no beans in the chili! =)  Is there a reason you score the dogs like that?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Here are a couple of easy chili dog chili recipes.  One from Tyler Florence http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chili-dogs-recipe-1946339 and one from @RRP a knock off of varsity chili.  I have tried both and they both work great. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161976/knock-off-of-the-varsity-chili-dog-sauce/p1om 
    Edina, MN