Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn starch method with chicken

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Any tips on using corn starch on chicken prior cooking? When do you apply, how much etc 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Confectioner's sugar duster works the best for me. Applied either the night before or the day of, at least 4 hours open in the fridge. Have not used more than about 1/3 of what you use for rub. Depending on the rub, 2 parts rub to 1 part corn starch makes the job a one step process, adjust for your taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Does this help make the skin crispier? 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    It does. I use a fine mesh strainer to dust wings with corn starch. Still they are best if left open in the fridge for 24 hours.  I dust them when they come out of the fridge. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    The corn starch absorbs some of the chicken's moisture, and when cooked, makes a thin coat of "breading." It only takes a couple of hours before cooking, tops. Otherwise, the chicken left sitting in the 'fridge w. a bit of salt works as well, maybe better, but takes over nite.

I use a tea strainer for the dusting.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I always season the bird first. The corn starch inhibits the rubs from sticking. A little goes a long way. It's pure magic!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I dust using this fine mesh tea strainer. As Pete just said a long goes a long way!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • wepinsf
    wepinsf Posts: 49
    Options
    Agree that a little goes a long way, just a light dusting otherwise I find it clumps up some. I use a flour sifter. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I just rub salt on the skin and bake as usual. It works great. Jack the temp up for the last 30 minutes and it's potato chip crispy. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Heading to Vegas for the 4th, but will be trying this soon.  Love all the great tips everyone shares on here.  Thank you all...it's a big help.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen