Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free large egg

Options
i have a wealthy family member who is very nice and generous to pretty much everyone. They are moving from a very upscale home to a different location, and they are giving away pretty much everything in their home to family. My sister called last Friday and asked if I wanted her big green egg and Weber Genesis, and you can guess what I said. I am very lucky and fortunate. It's about 6 years old and has been used about 9 times. I was the person that used it for 8 of those 9 times. Here was its first cook:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1098615/first-cook-on-nephews-new-egg-tri-tip

I finally hauled it out of the garage tonight and put it on the back patio with the others. Waiting to pass through the house:

It it looks really dirty next to my 8 year old large. I didn't need another egg, I may need to sell the small or medium to make room. Going to get the Weber this weekend. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    You'll put it to good use. Nice grab!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

Nice!  First day of economics class the prof writes this acronym up on the board: TANSTAAFL.  Means There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. 

Welcome to egg ownership.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Am I the only one who got their hopes up upon reading the title of the thread?! False advertising.  ;) 

Congrats on the great score.
    Yep I see what you mean there. Sorry I got your hopes up.  =)
  • cookingdude555
    Options

WeberWho said:
    You'll put it to good use. Nice grab!
    Thanks, I plan to! 
  • cookingdude555
    Options

Nice!  First day of economics class the prof writes this acronym up on the board: TANSTAAFL.  Means There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. 

Welcome to egg ownership.

Agreed. It's nice when good people bend that rule once in a while. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good to see those grills going to a good home.
    Enjoy.  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    A free Egg is the best Egg. That's my motto.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Congrats on the free egg! That's the first photo I've seen of the new band/hinge right next to the old style. It will be interesting with the lower clearance while open and using the AR.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Nice score!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Congrats on the free egg! That's the first photo I've seen of the new band/hinge right next to the old style. It will be interesting with the lower clearance while open and using the AR.
    I hadn't thought of that.  I will try to remember tonight to put the rig in and see what differences it has (I will post some pictures here).  I think it will be OK.  The new hinge doesn't really clear lower, it more lets the dome fall backwards and away from the base.  Its like the XL hinge now.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    @cookingdude555 lucky you. I was once given a cheap rusted out gasser. And had to burners in it.
     You just run in a better crowd.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    @cookingdude555 lucky you. I was once given a cheap rusted out gasser. And had to burners in it.
     You just run in a better crowd.
    I was very lucky. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options

It seems to work just fine. When closing the dome it looks like it's going to hit but it doesn't. The same situation occurs on the one with the older band right at the end of the motion. Should have done video. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Am I the only one who got their hopes up upon reading the title of the thread?! False advertising.  ;) 

Congrats on the great score.
    You were not alone.  Fake news.

Great score though.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX