Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Shy Brsiket for Father's Day

Options
So I'll be preparing my second brisket , a 7.5lbs, this one will be almost half weight of the first one (19lbs if I recall) so I'm planning to let it ride @275 starting at 6am so I'll be ready by 16:00 on Saturday.

I  used nice coating of coffee rub:

And had set up the Egg with Apple and Hickory chips so I just light it at 5am:

Hope everything goes as plan. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Comments

• InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    I don't even wake up this early to go to work hahaha those 50min is a lot of difference in sleeping

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Good luck and enjoy the remainder of the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    Probing like buttah almost all the brisket, seems kinda dry though:

No need for a cooler when ambient  temperature is @37C (98.6F)
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    It was somewhat dry compared to the 19lb full packer from December

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Looks like a winner. Was it the same grade/source of meat as your previous one?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• InfectedDAS
    Options
    Last one was a Choice from Costco EUA this one was from HEB Mexico with No Grade, definitely there's a big difference on grades.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
     definitely there's a big difference on grades.
    I would agree with this statement.  I cooked a choice and it was good but not great.  The last 3-4 have been Prime and there certainly appears to be a difference.  If I only had choice available, I would be fine.  However, HEB in Texas have Prime for under $4.00 per pound daily.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @InfectedDAS said:
    Last one was a Choice from Costco EUA this one was from HEB Mexico with No Grade, definitely there's a big difference on grades.

So right with that statement.  However, there is a major difference between a 19 lb and a 7.5lb brisket even with the same grade.  

Looks like you got a great result.  Enjoy the banquet.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.