Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aldi ribs

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
One rack, cut in half. Rubbed with MC Honey Hog. On the Small BGE Woo.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Yes sir!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dantastic
    Dantastic Posts: 4
    Options
    I just bought 3 of the St Louis racks they had on sale for 1.99/lb, they look like fairly decent cuts. I've had some great success with the Spare Ribs they have consistently around the $2 range.... I see that you found yourself even a sweeter deal, nice!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Dantastic said:
    I just bought 3 of the St Louis racks they had on sale for 1.99/lb, they look like fairly decent cuts. I've had some great success with the Spare Ribs they have consistently around the $2 range.... I see that you found yourself even a sweeter deal, nice!
    First time to buy their ribs. Although they did not give me the dollar off.lol
    These were kinda long, curved bones. We will see.
    Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    12% solution of salt!!!!!!!! pucker up butter cup :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Agree...I did soak and pat dry. Hope that helps.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

It should
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

It should
    Almst ready to pull them. Had the FB 300 running the show on my Small. It did a great job of controlling temp and adjusting after prolonged dome open temp spike.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    They look good. Wrapped for a short rest.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    Great looking cook right there.  Standing by for the finish review.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking cook right there.  Standing by for the finish review.  
    No plated shot. They were good but not as good as Sam's Club or restraunt depot or even local grocery store.
    They were trimmed kind of sloppy to start and I did little to improve it.
    Would not buy again I guess is the bottom line. Aldi is not very close to my house and involves a cooler and freezer packs. Great deals on non perishables and bread but so far nothing in fresh meat is worth the effort imo. 
    Thanks for watching.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    @Photo Egg Thanks for the candid review.  SWMBO does buy fresh veggies at the local Aldi's but since those don't qualify as protein I pass.  With so many options these days, I look for reasons to opt out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've tried their spare ribs, and thought they were pretty good. No extra salt solution. The label name was "Roseland" which seems like Aldi's house brand. Not certain. A son who was working as a cafe cook said it was the standard brand where he worked.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nice looking ribs.
    I would like to ask if anyone has cooked the Smithfield St Louis ribs that Walmart carries. (These ribs have solution added)

I normally don't buy any meat from Walmart, but I wanted to try out the Fast Eddy rib recipe in my Cookshack smoker. The recipe specified a 275 Deg cooking temp.
    This is 50 Deg higher than I normally cook at for ribs.

I didn't want to invest much money since it was really a cooking method test, rather than a cook that I planned to have for dinner.

Much to my surprise, the ribs turned out pretty good, in spite of me over cooking them. They we just a little too fall off the bone tender.

These Smithfield solution added ribs seem to be popular in some of the BBQ contest according to what I've read.

Again, they turned out pretty good, but I just can't shake off the feeling that did something really wrong, something that carries a certain degree of shame.....

Has anyone on the forums cooked these ribs? and if so what did you think about them?

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I will probably buy Aldo ribs again, but share your thoughts on the the sloppy trimming.
    Stillwater, MN
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    That's interesting, because the baby backs at my local Aldi's are some of the best around. Very meaty, no salt solution, and generally cheaper than anywhere else. When I want some ribs, it's the first place I check. 

Funny how much difference it makes, what part of the country you're in.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @GregW I've cooked Smithfield's maybe a dozen times.  They cook up just fine.  I've never noted any problems, wth them being in solution. 

Bedt bet bet is to get a slab and see how you like them. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Like many places, I'm sure Aldi has different brands of meat. Some better than others.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I've had good luck with the Aldi St louis cut ribs. Very meaty and tender.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset