Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

R and B adjustable rig

Options
was looking at the r and b adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store any one have one and what are your opinions?

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love mine. I have the oval stone.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You'll like it. I tried different homebrewed options for a while before finally pulling the trigger. Should have done it earlier. 

Call Tom at CGS and he'll help you figure out what you need. He's not the type to up- sell just to squeeze  a few more $$$ out of you. Tell him what you like to cook and he'll set you up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I really like it. Adds so many different options for raised direct and indirect cooking. Also a big plus to grab the Rig and lift the whole assembly out of the Egg. Lift it out to add smoke wood or make adjustments to your Rig while the dome is closed to keep fire at desired temps.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Love it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I can't believe I went so long without one.  There is a level for everything!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jazimmerman
    Options
    Best accessory I've purchased

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i am planning on getting a second one for my second egg i just picked up, wont use the plate setter again.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I have the AR for my large but I have the round accessories. I want to get the oval stone etc. But may wait until Christmas.

I have the Woo for my MM. 

You won't go wrong dealing with CGS.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• littlemb8899
    Options
    Thank you for pushing me over on it I've placed my order. By the way great looking cooks everybody
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The last photo above from @Kent8621 has the grid extender on the top which is a separate item from the R&B, a must have IMO.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I am wondering about this combo. If I get the R & B combo how am I able to do 4 racks of ribs as it says in the description? It looks like you need the extender to do 4 at once. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @brason, my adjustable rig is an older model than what is on the CGS site and shown in some of these pictures, but I can get six racks (probably nine actually) of ribs on a cook using three grids.  I don't have many pics, but here are some old ones (not good quality, at night, with a phone).

and the two level "spider" my brother made for it:

• Kent8621
    Options

I cant find a picture, but I know the main oval grate will do 3 racks side by side, they are thin enough if you got a second full size grate (which I need to order) you could actually do 6 without the extension. you could also use a rib rack and do 5-6 vertical on the one full size grate.  that being said, the extension is awesome so put it on your Christmas list or a buy later list.  I use mine mostly for small appetizers, corn or potato's while the main meal is below.

Boiler Up!!

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I just placed my order. I got the R & B combo with the rig extender and 2nd 13x17 grid to go with it.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    @Brason I think you'll want to get the rig extender if you get the adjustable rig. It's hard for me to imagine getting the adjustable rig without the extender. I doubt there are many people on here who have one without the other. The only real question is whether you want a second oval grid or the D-shaped grid to go on the extender. There are good arguments for either. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Kent8621 said:

... the main oval grate will do 3 racks side by side, they are thin enough if you got a second full size grate (which I need to order) you could actually do 6 without the extension....

You must mean baby backs -- will 3 racks of spares fit on the oval grate?  (I like baby backs, but I seem to like spares better.)

And what do you mean about the "second full size grate?"  If 3 racks fit on one oval grate, won't 3 more fit on a second oval grate?

I'm not trying to hassle you -- I'm thinking about buying an AR and pondering the options.  I hardly ever need to smoke more than a rack or two of ribs, but for family gatherings it'd be fun to be able to do 4 or even 6.  But looking at the videos on the website, it looks like to do 4 racks (of spares) I'd need the rig extender.  I suppose without it I could still put 2 racks below the felt and two above, but then I wouldn't be able to slide out the grids to switch the upper one for the lower one.  Am I getting that right?
  • littlemb8899
    Options
    i happen to be close enough to a ceramic grill store that I drove over and yopu can do a single spare rib to a grate or two st Louis style or baby back with the extender you can do three sets of spares have to keep the bottom level for the stone if I understood everything they told me correctly
  • Theophan
    Options
    i happen to be close enough to a ceramic grill store that I drove over and yopu can do a single spare rib to a grate or two st Louis style or baby back with the extender you can do three sets of spares have to keep the bottom level for the stone if I understood everything they told me correctly
    OK, two St. Louis cut to an oval grid -- that's what I was thinking.  Thanks for the confirmation!
  • Kent8621
    Options
    yeah I mainly do baby backs, we have done the others but I seem to like the baby backs better.  I haven't done spares since I got the rig but I could see doing 2 side by side on one level. 
    Theophan said:
    Kent8621 said:

... the main oval grate will do 3 racks side by side, they are thin enough if you got a second full size grate (which I need to order) you could actually do 6 without the extension....

You must mean baby backs -- will 3 racks of spares fit on the oval grate?  (I like baby backs, but I seem to like spares better.)

And what do you mean about the "second full size grate?"  If 3 racks fit on one oval grate, won't 3 more fit on a second oval grate?

I'm not trying to hassle you -- I'm thinking about buying an AR and pondering the options.  I hardly ever need to smoke more than a rack or two of ribs, but for family gatherings it'd be fun to be able to do 4 or even 6.  But looking at the videos on the website, it looks like to do 4 racks (of spares) I'd need the rig extender.  I suppose without it I could still put 2 racks below the felt and two above, but then I wouldn't be able to slide out the grids to switch the upper one for the lower one.  Am I getting that right?
    as for your other question, the sliding d grid that goes on top of the extender is slightly smaller than the main 13x17 grid.  there are three levels on the rig itself, so I have done the stone, and two grids and able to get the ribs in.  I have had to be selective on my rib choices doing baby backs and not getting a large bone  but I could see doing it that way easily with 4 sets of spares.  honestly the best thing to do, what I did and others have done, is call the ceramic grill store, talk to their staff and they will be straight with you and not over sell. 

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Options

the wife and her family requested ribs this weekend for a get together Saturday, so I will try and grab a picture to help you out.

Boiler Up!!

• Theophan
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    ... the sliding d grid that goes on top of the extender is slightly smaller than the main 13x17 grid.  there are three levels on the rig itself, so I have done the stone, and two grids and able to get the ribs in.  I have had to be selective on my rib choices doing baby backs and not getting a large bone  but I could see doing it that way easily with 4 sets of spares.  honestly the best thing to do, what I did and others have done, is call the ceramic grill store, talk to their staff and they will be straight with you and not over sell. 
    I hadn't realized that -- very helpful.  Thanks!
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Thumbs up from me, I've had the adjustable rig for just a few days, but have used it once with great success and plan to do another Boston butt roast this Saturday night in an all-night cook. CGS folks have been great (grate) to deal with too.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg