Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump?

Options
How much lump should be put into a large egg to control heat better and flare ups?   Is less rockwood better for small cooks?? I have only used my large for long low and slows so it gets filled up everytime for those.  Never tried anything small.  Im assuming lid should be in raised position as well???  Want to attempt grilling a few burgers and chicken thighs.  Thanks for your help in advance,  Eric 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    Options
    Regarding filling the LBGE-there is filling to the top of the fire-box and then filling to just below the top of the fire ring.  Loading up to the top of the ring will double your fuel load so you can get those protracted cook times.
    Heat control is a function of air-flow not the quantity of lump.  As someone much smarter than me said, the quantity of fuel in your car's gas tank has no bearing on the speed.
    Now if you want to do some hot&fast cooks then depending on the cook, distance from the larger fire can be a plus or minus.  For chix running direct, the drippings can cause flare-ups so many prefer more distance (less lump) and/or raised direct.  For burgers many prefer closer to the fire so more lump and/or straight direct. It's all in what you want.  As with most things BGE-many ways to get there.  
    Oh, and dome closed for all the above-I only run dome open for cave-man cooks (protein on the lump).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    I always fill up the firebowl every time whether low and slow or hot and fast. I have no problems reaching high temperatures on a large BGE. Any leftover lump gets reused on the next cook.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 907
    Options
    Top of the firebox (i.e., bottom of the fire ring) most of the time, except for the long low & slow cooks. Seems to be the general standard, and is what the mothership recommends.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Heat control is a function of air-flow not the quantity of lump.  As someone much smarter than me said, the quantity of fuel in your car's gas tank has no bearing on the speed.

Well, that is until it runs out :)  You do need sufficient fuel + airflow for the fire to continue to burn.  No fuel = no fire. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Better in the egg than in the bag. Fill'r up!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    lousubcap said:

Well, that is until it runs out :)  You do need sufficient fuel + airflow for the fire to continue to burn.  No fuel = no fire. 

If you are trying to go top speed, amount of fuel does matter at 6.2 pounds per gallon. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I put one gram of fuel in my egg and it didn't get but slightly warm.  Now I'm confused.  Can anyone help me figure out why the amount of fuel violated the amount of fuel doesn't matter axiom?