Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reheating today

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok - so i'll pull the butts off, let them rest for an hour in the cooler and then refridgerate until close to dinner. Should I pull first and then pop in the fridge or put it in whole? What are some methods for reheating the pork so it stays moist? everyone coming to dinner has their own sauce preference so I don't want to put it in sauce. I read somewhere about putting a can of coke in with the pulled pork and then keeping it in a crock pot. Anyone had luck with this? Thanks!

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    homestar,
    I tried that coke and crock pot bit once and wasn't happy at all . Some swear by it, though. Here is what QBH did at the Florida fest to reheat the butt :[p]This is not so much a recipe, as a technique.[p]I wanted to serve pulled pork for lunch, but was unable to tend the grill overnight. [p]I rubbed an 8lb boston butt with yellow mustard, followed by Dizzy Pigs Raging River rub. Wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.[p]In the morning I cooked it indirect, about 225-250 using cherry and hickory chunks for smoke flavor, until the internal temp reached 195, about 14 hours.[p]When the butt was done, I wrapped it in foil with a mixture of apple juice and BBQ sauce (I use a locally produced sauce from David Barbecue in Gainesville), and stuck it in the refrigerator for a couple of days.[p]On the morning of the fest I reheated the butt at about 250-300, still wrapped in foil, for about 3 hours, then pulled it, mixing it with a combination of David’s hot and mild bbq sauces and some apple juice.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    homestar,
    Real Coca-Cola in the crock has gotten rave reviews at my home many times - and don't worry you don't taste the Coke at all!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jay Brilliant
    Options
    homestar,
    I would probably pull it after foiling and resting in the cooler, which by the way you could stretch out for a few hours and the pork will still be very hot. When you go to reheat the pork, you could either use a large pan or dutch oven and heat very slowly, this is whats worked for me just barely simmering, if you don't want to use sauce you could use just a little bit of apple juice just to keep the pork moist, I wouldn't reheat it in the oven beacause it will have a tendency to dry it out.

• alternity
    Options
    homestar,[p]I cooked a 5 pound bone in last night for 9 hours. Basted with a custom applejuce and spice mixture. Rested for several hours in a pyrex dish wrapped tight in foil with clean towles in a cooler. Placed in the refridge and reheating in the oven now at 200 degrees. I will add a vinegar sauce and pull shortly. Using a liquid really helps keep the meat tender. [p]good luck[p]