Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg won't stay at 225

Options
Egg won't stay at 225 when I have a digiq set at 225 250 is where it sets any suggestions gasket is ok not too hard or burned

Comments

• horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    Options
    If you get too much of your coals lit and your firebox is very full it might now be possible to get the egg down to 225. I wouldn't worry about it, the 25 degree difference isn't going to effect whatever you are cooking. 
  • bamaegger
    bamaegger Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks I just got the digiq and not real sure how to set the top vent 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Make sure your digi q  fan damper is shut down at least half. Mine is 3/4. Top can be almost be closed completely. Let the fan do the work.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bamaegger
    bamaegger Posts: 6
    Options
    I closed off the top completely and have the dampener set to the first line still 250 degrees 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Each Egg seems to have it's own "sweet spot". My XL is around the 250 mark.  I start with a full box but only light a small handful.  At the 250 mark, the bottom vent  is open 1/8 an inch and the top petals are barely open.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    For the record, not much difference between 225 and 275. Nothing magical about 225. I'd not sweat it and move on. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    My egg likes to sit around 250, any lower than that and I worry about the fire going out on me overnight.  250 will work just as well as 225!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    I close the top vent.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @bamaegger - First up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Regarding your controller issue-I'm of no help but I would suggest that you take some time to learn how the BGE runs w/o the controller so that if/when it all goes south you can manually intervene and turn out great groceries.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    NewbeeMinimax Posts: 174
    Options
    I agree. So many variables. One to consider is get good gasket--from ROn. Gaskets contribute to temp control 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Some punctuation may help us understand the question....
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bamaegger - First up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Regarding your controller issue-I'm of no help but I would suggest that you take some time to learn how the BGE runs w/o the controller so that if/when it all goes south you can manually intervene and turn out great groceries.  FWIW-
    Yeah @lousubcap said it best. 

I have had Eggs for several years. Last night I did my first overnight brisket with a Digi Q, probes, alarms, blah blah. 

I woke up to alarms like crazy at 0700 but I was able to shut it down and force my temp without putting a fire out...and it has a learning curve. 

The toys are nice sometimes but some cooks you just gotta be able to do a manual override. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN