Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Activated Charcoal Food Trend?

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
Pulled this off the Web. I know a popular BBQ rub uses Charcoal in the rub. I would "guess" the small amount we would ingest from the rub would be minimal compared to many of the other foods that use charcoal to color.

The Activated Charcoal Food Trend Is Pretty, but You Should Definitely Avoid It

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/activated-charcoal-food-trend-pretty-162531594.html
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Damn, no more Rockwood smoothies guys.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Trusting a pretty lady has never gotten me in trouble...lol
    The little bit of charcoal in the rub does not bother me at all.
    These internet writers are running out of ligament stories.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Only way i can see this being an issue is if you are adding this activated charcoal to every food item you eat every day. Every now and then wont kill you. Besides a lot of us drink more bourbon than water..... 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My favorite is the seasoning blend that contains not only activated charcoal, but tons of salt, MSG and umm, aircraft deicer. This is a pic of the label from several years ago. In fairness, the ingredients might have changed.

I just read on their website that this product is temporarily (they hope) unavailable because one of the ingredients is no longer available from the manufacturer. They don't say which ingredient. Surely it's not the salt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Usually the "activated" stuff or food grade comes from coal (from the earth) vs. charcoal (carbonized wood.)  It's hit with a super hot steam or chemical to make it even more porous.  Our lump is around 250 m2/g, where as medical grade activate is 1000-2000 m2/g.  We used to carry that stuff on the ambulance for people that were poisoned or OD'd on something--pour a big bottle of it down their throat, it would absorb the bad stuff, then they'd yak it all up.

Arborists used activated charcoal to save the Treaty Oak in Austin.  Some ahole dumped a bunch of liquid herbicide all over the ground around it--so they dug up all the soil, then used activated charcoal with soil to replace it.  Took a few times but it saved the tree.

We sell fines to various agricultural companies and livestock farms.  Compost, mulch, chicken food, etc, all benefits from charcoal.  I ground up the fines and had charcoal soap made a few years ago for our dealership group Christmas presents.  Then had the extra powder encapsulated.  I took charcoal pills for about 3 months......can't say it did anything, but I'm still alive!!!! 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Usually the "activated" stuff or food grade comes from coal (from the earth) vs. charcoal (carbonized wood.)  It's hit with a super hot steam or chemical to make it even more porous.  Our lump is around 250 m2/g, where as medical grade activate is 1000-2000 m2/g.  We used to carry that stuff on the ambulance for people that were poisoned or OD'd on something--pour a big bottle of it down their throat, it would absorb the bad stuff, then they'd yak it all up.

Arborists used activated charcoal to save the Treaty Oak in Austin.  Some ahole dumped a bunch of liquid herbicide all over the ground around it--so they dug up all the soil, then used activated charcoal with soil to replace it.  Took a few times but it saved the tree.

We sell fines to various agricultural companies and livestock farms.  Compost, mulch, chicken food, etc, all benefits from charcoal.  I ground up the fines and had charcoal soap made a few years ago for our dealership group Christmas presents.  Then had the extra powder encapsulated.  I took charcoal pills for about 3 months......can't say it did anything, but I'm still alive!!!! 
    Agree. Interesting part of the read was in reference to absorbing bad things as well as absorbing and bonding to everything such as medication. If a person is OD'd, loosing vitamins and minerals or daily medication is the least of the worries. I guess it's not so much the charcoal being bad for you but the effect it has bonding and neutralizing some of the good things.
    Cool story about it being used in the soil to save the old tree.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Wasn't it @Mickey that started this trend with his wings?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Wasn't it @Mickey that started this trend with his wings?
    lol...
    Long before Mickey there was "Chubby" and his legendary charred sandwich.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hell, people eat dirt. If I could only get my poodle to stop eating deer crap!

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I spend 60 hours a week in a body shop. A little seasoning will not be the cause of my demise. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Photo Egg
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Guess it would depend on how much you swallow.
    Does it work?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I spend 60 hours a week in a body shop. A little seasoning will not be the cause of my demise. 
    @Jeremiah
    No shid brother. Be safe.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Just like I have never met an old welder.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Guess it would depend on how much you swallow.
    Does it work?

@Photo Egg I dont swallow and yes I have noticed a change. Im not a fan of the strips  as they tend to my my teeth sentative. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL