Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Margaritaville line of mixers, anybody own or use?

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
edited May 2017 in Off Topic
Wife and I are thinking about picking up one of these for the patio. Not sure of model or options yet. Looking for feedback from anyone familiar with them. 

https://www.margaritavillecargo.com/party-machines/

Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I have friends that have them. They are solid. Looks like a killer deal too. 
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Dinah_Moe_Humm Posts: 111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I agree MJG.  I bought one at COSTCO about 4 years ago.  I used it the first year or two.  Yes, it's cool to watch it make Margaritas but it's a PIA to clean and I could never get the mix / recipe right.  I actually went back to using a blender.  For me, it was a waste of money.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    Also had one, got seldom use. Sold it and got a vitamix. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I purchased a Comercial bar blender many years ago. It has serviced my home needs perfectly. One of the best small appliance purchases I have made. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    another vote for Vitamix.
    NOLA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We've had one for several years. It's the cheapest one shown. It's served us well with frozen drinks and margaritas. For $130 you can't go wrong, especially when vitamix's start at twice that.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Trey,

We have owned the Key West about 6 years, no issues with reliability or performance, use it weekly. Yes it's not a fun machine to clean but not the end of the world either to maintain. If you go for one get the larger ice hopper, and make your mix in a bottle in advance, saves time when everybody is lined up at the bar!!! 

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We have the Key West. It has worked flawlessly from the first day we got it. It was given to us as a wedding present. We like it very much. We also have the blender. For cocktails, it does a great job, not so much for making apple sauce. We use the blender for that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    We have the Key West. It has worked flawlessly from the first day we got it. It was given to us as a wedding present. We like it very much. We also have the blender. For cocktails, it does a great job, not so much for making apple sauce. We use the blender for that.

I'd be willing to bet it makes a mean bourbon slushie
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @johnnyp
    Hard to believe, but we just mix and freeze in food storage bags for Bourbon Slushies. It works very well. The alcohol never lets  it freeze solid, and we just cut open the bag and squeeze to pour. Only cleaning is the mixing bowl.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Another vote for a Vitamix.  Just got the A2300 and love it.  Easy to clean and powerful, with a 10 year warranty.  Will cost more but worth it.  I love Buffett, but not for his blenders.  I also prefer a shaken margarita in a chilled glass over a frozen one, so no need for a blender there, anyway.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    500 said:
    Another vote for a Vitamix.  Just got the A2300 and love it.  Easy to clean and powerful, with a 10 year warranty.  Will cost more but worth it.  I love Buffett, but not for his blenders.  I also prefer a shaken margarita in a chilled glass over a frozen one, so no need for a blender there, anyway.
    Yessir, rocks over frozen all day.

Another one of those cocktails, like a Mule, that is stupid simple, but gets Focked up badly.

1.  100% de agave.  Reposado is lovely.
    2.  Cointreau.  I like that orange note, and go equal parts to the tequila.
    3.  Fresh lime juice
    4.  Shake, pour over rocks, or up, in a salt rimmed glass with a slice of lime

Adjust ratios to accompany food, or stiffen for a stand alone.  No need for a fish bowl.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• buzd504
    Options
    Focker said:
    500 said:

Another one of those cocktails, like a Mule, that is stupid simple, but gets Focked up badly.

3.  Fresh lime juice

Adjust ratios to accompany food, or stiffen for a stand alone.  No need for a fish bowl.

I agree, but a little less Cointreau (or more tequila) and I prefer silver for mixing.  To each his own, though.
    NOLA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Focker said:
    500 said:

3.  Fresh lime juice

I agree, but a little less Cointreau (or more tequila) and I prefer silver for mixing.  To each his own, though.
    I hear ya, and on board, silver being more stand alone.  Try reposado some time.

It's all gravy, as long as you're not using the Cuervo mix and well triple sec.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Was not familiar with VitaMix until I read this thread.  Went and checked some prices ... HOLY COW!!  Boys, please help me out.  I am all for buying the best.  I've always believed in that.  But 500 bucks for a blender?!? Why?!?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • buzd504
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hub said:
    Was not familiar with VitaMix until I read this thread.  Went and checked some prices ... HOLY COW!!  Boys, please help me out.  I am all for buying the best.  I've always believed in that.  But 500 bucks for a blender?!? Why?!?
    It will pulverize anything to oblivion and it has (I think) a 7 year warranty.  It heats things up enough to make a warm soup without putting it on the stove.  There are a few comparable products (Blendtec, for one) at comparable prices.  Like the BGE, when you want the most/best functionality and price isn't your first priority, you go for Vitamix (or comparable).

For fun, Blentec's site:  http://willitblend.com/

NOLA
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Have both the VitaMix and the Margvlle Mixer.   Use the VitaMix often, the Margvlle less often.  Both have their uses.

The Margvlle is alot of fun in the summer when we have people over.  Everyone likes show.  Easy enough to clean when you get the hang of it.

Regardless of how you make them...slushies are great on a hot summer's day and tend to go down waaaaaay too easy.
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    Vitamix
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am sure that the Margaritaville is a fine machine and does a great job, but not everyone loves a Margarita. We do have guests on occasion that want one when they spy the Vitamix, so we oblige. Here's a recipe from the Vitamix site for a great Margarita. We're not much for using mixes, especially when we can make it from scratch.

Whole Fruit Margarita

Yield: 8 cups (1.9 )

Total Time:  11 Minutes

Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

¼ cup (60 ml) water
        6 ounces (180 ml) tequila
        2 fluid ounces (60 ml) Grand Marnier
        1 orange, peeled, halved
        1 lime, peeled, halved
        1 lemon, peeled, halved
        6 Tablespoons (75 g) granulated sugar (we use honey)
        6 cups (1.4 l) ice cubes

Directions

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
        Select Variable 1.
        Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
        Blend for 45 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
        Pour into salt-rimmed margarita glasses.

@Hub, there are just too many uses for the Vitamix to try and list them. Check them out on QVC where they have great demos to show a lot of the ways to use them. They also have the best prices and package deals. At least, they did when we got ours. We were skeptical because of the price too and spent a lot of time researching, but so glad we chose to get one. We have the 7500 and it fits perfectly under our kitchen cabinets.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC