Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30lb whole pig cooking time?

Options
DamageCase
DamageCase Posts: 11
Hi all,

Doing a 30lb whole pig on my XL tomorrow and debating about the cooking time. Anyone have any experience with this?

From what I've read about whole pig cooking in general for this size i will do 250-300F. Most of what i've read is saying 6-8 hours. Does that sound right? 

Most Butts i cook take 14 hours almost to a tee every time (but at 225F) so it has me second guessing the time. 

Also I've folded it up see the picture and had the butcher remove the head. (I did not want traumatize my 3 year old by having him think I was cooking Peppa Pig LOL) 

Thanks!
Brian
EGGhead from Winnipeg MB, Canada = WinnipEGGhead
wwww.winnipeggheads.com

Cooking on Mini, Large & XL Big Green Eggs

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Depends, however you want...my La Caja china, 4 hours ...on my pit 8....what's your plan?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    I did a Suckling pig of 23lb and it took 4.5hrs @325F Indirect.

A lesson learned from that cook was to put the pig direct after hitting the temp so the skin could get that crunchy feel that lacks when cooking indirect.

Here's the process if interested:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1202755/sunday-suckling-pig-first-time#latest
  • DamageCase
    Options
    My plan was indirect cook, using a pit controller so it will hold temp no problem. I was thinking in the 250-300 range but maybe doing closer to the 300 end of it, after looking at those pics. I was going to leave him sitting in that roaster like that instead laying down on the grill... But maybe i will tie him up and just put a drip tray underneath the grill on the plate setter. I guess there are so many ways to do it... I might as well just try and see. Thanks for the advice! I will post pics when I'm done.
    wwww.winnipeggheads.com

• DamageCase
    Options
    Put it on around 300 about 30 minutes ago with a few hickory chunks in for fun. Looks like we could have kept the head... definitely enough room. Next time! 

wwww.winnipeggheads.com

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    so, how long it took?
  • DamageCase
    Options
    Ended up cooking it for 8 hours total, 4 at 300Fand 4 at 325F... actually that last hour got up to 375 as the pig got hotter, so did my Egg. I think I had left Ramp Up Mode on my pit controller turned off. It didn't really matter though.

For the last 2 hours I mopped it with an apple juice based mop that i had made as well using juice, spice rub, avacado oil, brown sugar and rice wine vinegar (was out of cider vinegar).

Here is finished pig right before we took it off

Here is it being carved up and some
    super tender pulled pork! 

Turned out great, got a ton of leftovers to freeze and was half the time of full sized butts! I would absolutely do this again! 

Cheers!
    Brian
    wwww.winnipeggheads.com