Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Grade Guess

Options
My local grocer caries steaks that always have good marbling, but the steaks never have a grade on them. Any thought on where these might spill out??

I have yet to talk to the butcher to ask him. 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    That, at the very least is a Choice cut of meat - border line Prime ... it's definitely NOT select as their would be almost NO white strands of fat and the meat would show almost all red.
    I'd proudly grill that!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    My guess would be a nice choice cut. I would think if it were CAB or prime it would be labeled as such. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Looks like CAB choice. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     a good choice
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks like a choice grade to me also.
    We have a place that sells beef without a disclosed grade close to me.
    Sometimes I can find something that looks good. Sometimes not. In my experience places that sell beef without disclosing a grade, are most often selling select grade. 
    Even with select grade you can sometimes find a steak that is above it's grade classification.....as they say, sometime you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

It looks like your store is selling a good grade of beef. Who knows, they could be buying beef that is of course USDA inspected, but has never been graded, in this case you could even find prime or high grade choice.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Choice

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Choice plus
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Choice
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
     Choice wouldnbe my choice.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95