Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probably Sacrilege But . . . . .

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247

. . . . It was so darned good. Threw a grass fed Tri-tip from Whole Paycheck on the SF warmer with some Montreal Steak seasoning fueled by oak and hickory. 

I had the baffle plate installed to keep the heat in the warmer so I could clean the main chamber. While clean the grates with a nylon brush my hand slipped and I sliced the tip of my finger off on the expanded metal edge. 

While my wife was providing first aid, the Tri-tip got up to 148 F, past where I wanted it. So we had a couple of slice for dinner, and wrapped the rest in plastic wrap. 

This morning I broke out the Berkel to slice it up. Had a slice with Cracker Barrel sharp white cheddar. Sooooo farking good. It's always good to have a backup plan.
Attached Images

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Lot of slicing going on in that post.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited May 2017
    Options
    CTMike said:
    . . . on the SF warmer ... I had the baffle plate installed to keep the heat in the warmer so I could clean the main chamber...  This morning I broke out the Berkel to slice it up....
    The abbreviations and shorthand so many people here use drive this old guy who has trouble remembering things nuts.  "SF warmer?"  What the heck is that?  I gather it has a main chamber and an expanded metal edge, somewhere, but that didn't give me a clue.   "... the Berkel?"  No idea what that is, either.

Sounds pretty frabjous to me -- gotta watch that frumious Bandersnatch.  And are you sure it wasn't the vorpal sword you sliced yourself on, trying to hit the Jabberwock?

Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower.
    Elementary penguin singing Hari Krishna.
    Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.
    I am the egg man, they are the egg men.
    I am the walrus, coo coo cachoo ca coo coo cachoo. Coo coo cachou ca coo.

:)

I'm not kidding:  I have NO IDEA what you did, how you did it, or whether it might have been interesting or not if I'd known what it was.  I know what a Trip-tip is!  I got that part, anyway...

Care to translate for the old guy?
  • CTMike
    Options
    SGH said:
    @CTMike
    Brother Mike, I can't see the pics for some reason.  
    I don't know why they aren't showing Scottie, they look good to me. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    CTMike said:
    SF is shorthand for Shirley Fabrication, the manufacturer of my smoker. Berkel is the manufacturer of the deli slicer shown in the second pic. 

Here is a photo of "Ol' Mortimer", my SF beast:

I think I saw that machine on Willy Wonka.
     I am guessing you cook professional, that is a big cooker. 
    Do the hogs just walk into one end or is there a conveyor that isn't hooked to it in the pic?
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    SF is shorthand for Shirley Fabrication, the manufacturer of my smoker. Berkel is the manufacturer of the deli slicer shown in the second pic. 

I think I saw that machine on Willy Wonka.
     I am guessing you cook professional, that is a big cooker. 
    Do the hogs just walk into one end or is there a conveyor that isn't hooked to it in the pic?
    I have started a BBQ catering company called "Goin' Deep BBQ," which is a nod to my career spent on submarines. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    CTMike said:
    SGH said:
    @CTMike
    I can't see them either. The reason is the pictures are posted on another bbq site. I'm taken to a page where I have to either log in or sign up.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    CTMike said:
    SF is shorthand for Shirley Fabrication, the manufacturer of my smoker. Berkel is the manufacturer of the deli slicer shown in the second pic...
    Ah... Many thanks!  The fact that your pictures don't show might make a difference.  Maybe if I'd seen the pictures, they would have explained something.
    CTMike said:
    SGH said:
    @CTMike

And the reason YOU can see your pictures but no one else can is that you have to be logged in (!) to the forum you posted them on to be able to see the pictures!  YOU're logged in, so YOU can see them!

If you post them directly on this forum, they'll be visible to the rest of us.

CTMike said:

Holy MOLY!!!  That's a beast, all right!  Wow!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hey Mike the first two pics aren't showing up, but all others are great.  The beast is still looking like the best smoker ever.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    Options
    Ahh, makes sense on the photos. Here are the first two:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Quite a rig!  
    Cool that we have two submariners on the forum.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you fired that up for a little tritip =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @fishlessman , "Go big or go home comes to mind."  Quite a rig for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Prowe
    Prowe Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh my. I thought a. 24 in kamado was big.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Botch said:
    Quite a rig!  
    Are you a bubblehead or are you referring to @lousubcap? Also @SSN686, @SSN615 are bubbleheads (I assume). 

Submarines once . . . . 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

you fired that up for a little tritip =)
    I wanted the heat to be able to dry out the smoker chamber after pressure washing all the gunk out of it. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I do know that SSN686 is one and have never seen SSN615 on here.  There is another infrequent poster (can't recall his name) from Minnesota as well.
    Submarines twice...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    @lousubcap, @CTMike, that would be me. ETCM(SS) retired. Last sea tour was SSN759.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • CTMike
    Options
    Here is the logo I had drawn up for the company. I wanted to incorporate a set of dolphins in to it, but the graphic artist I hired said it would send a mixed message. I bowed to his experience. 

The name and the Sub Service license plate frame are enough of a reference I guess. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

@lousubcap, @CTMike, that would be me. ETCM(SS) retired. Last sea tour was SSN759.

Nuke or coner?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @scooter759  - thanks for checking in.  Shortly after I quit for the night your handle came to me (something about old age here) but not needed this AM. 
    Good luck with any of those comps I recall you enter.  
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    @CTMike - nuke
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • CTMike
    Options
    @CTMike - nuke
    Former RC-Div myself, retired back in 2000. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Botch said:
    Quite a rig!  
    Are you a bubblehead or are you referring to @lousubcap? Also @SSN686, @SSN615 are bubbleheads (I assume). 

Submarines once . . . . 
    I'm a Flyboy myself (geek/BB-Stacker); didn't realize there were even more submarine folks here!  (at 6'5" I wouldn't have done well in that environment)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...