Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp vs cooking temp.

Options
Gene
Gene Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I am new and this may be a repost, but I could use some education. Does the thermometer in the dome typically read higher or lower than the actual cooking temperature on the grate? I am going to tackle some ribs tomorrow for the first time and want to see if there is another gadget I need to pick up to help me. (I think all the new gadgets are cool, my wife is less than enthusiatic, but the food is starting to change he mind) Thanks for your help[p]Gene

Comments

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Gene,
    Dome temp typically runs higher. On my large it seems to run about 50 degrees higher but as the meat warms the range between grid and dome temp narrows. I use the dome temp as a guide but I also measure at the grid close to what I am cooking.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Gene,
    Yes there is a difference, and the dome is usually higher than the grid temp...which really makes no difference because most recipes/posts on this forum are based on dome temp...unless someone specifically states "grid temp" in that case you would want some kind of remote thermometer that you would clip to the grid.[p]Wess

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Gene,
    Some here will tell you that both temps are critical when doing low and slow. In my opinion, I only use the dome temp. It is no more than cooking in the oven in your house other than smoke. I did ribbs yesterday at 300 dome for two hours using hickory chips. I had two beers in a drip pan under the ribbs. After two hours I took the ribbs off, used the drippings, ketchup, mustard, garlic powder,black pepper,little salt to taste as a sauce. I covered the ribbs with the sauce, rapped them in foil, put them back on for hour and half at 300 dome. I took them off for the final time, allowed them to rest for 15 minutes. When I opened the foil, the bones were pulling out of the meat. I don't know of any other way to get them any more tender. So for my opinion, I don't pay that much attention to the grate, only the dome whatever I cook. My opinion. Hey, the sauce was great!!![p]Chef Jerry

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Gene,[p]Ditto to what the other folks have said; the dome is a general guide to the grill temp which is mostly a little lower. For me, getting ribs and other low and slows right is creeping up on the temperature. Start shutting your vents down little by little when you get to about 220 dome. I find that if I get the dome temp to stabilize at about 250, ribs usually come out fine no matter what method I use. If I over-run, and get to about 300, it can be fairly difficult getting to a steady lower temperature.[p]I'd be willing to bet that your wife will soon compliment you with a "That's the best I've ever had" in just a little while.[p]gdenby

• Grillicious
    Options
    Gene, the other posts have pretty much covered it. The only time I pay attention to the grid temp is on loonngg low and slows, as in overnight butts and briskets, I still pay attention to the grid temp as well as the dome temp. And fyi, a commonly used device for monitoring grid temps (and what I use) is a Maverick ET-73 dual probe remote temp monitor, one probe for the meat, another clips to the grid. You can find one for as low as around $39 I believe.[p]Cheers

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    I have a Maverick ET73. Any suggestions or experiences as to how to attach the ET73s grid probe to the dome thermometer in order to read dome temp instead of grid temp?
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    Strip the plastic off of a bread tie and secure it to the end of the BGE thermometer. That way you will read the dome temp. Or use a roach clip in the same manner. I meant a springy paper holding thingy like they use in the office.

• BurntRaw
    Options
    Gene,
    It is not a slam dunk. It is strange but with the BGE thermometer there was, for me, a 25 - 50 difference however when I changed to the TelTru that went away. Now there is very little difference between the Grate and dome as measured with the Guru attached to the grate and the reading of the TelTru. I was kinda shocked by this so I also check the grate temp with both the Guru and Mav, and the readings were true - only a less then 5 degree difference between the grate and dome readings.[p]The issue for me now is (as was stated below) most recipes are listed at dome temp so I have to take 25 degrees off - if it says 325 I have to go with a 300 reading to get the same results.[p]It is best to check the actual difference if you want to be exact, although I don't think it would make that much of an impact.[p]Okay, now that I have confussed myself I am going to get a beer - at least then I will have a reason.[p]Good luck.

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    Thanks for the help. We have some friends in from Memphis so I will have some definite rib critics. I have already seasoned them, wrapped in plastic and in the refrigerator. I will tryt o get some pictures and post them tomorrow. This board has been so much help already.[p]Gene

• Eggin-smurff,[p]I have the ET73 and the grid probe fits directly into the hole on the BGE in place of the BGE thermometer. I consistently get about 20 degrees difference betwe the Mav probe and the BGE thermo, but I just adjust accordingly. I think the difference is due to the slightly different length.