Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More on cookware in the Egg

dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a little shopping/browsing today. Found Le Creuset 3.5qt and 7.25 qt cast iron enamel pots a Tuesday Mornings for 99 and 149, very pricey but as cheap as I can recall seeing them. I found Trivoli stainless steal at another similar store for 29.99, obviously much nicer on the wallet. At that store I picked up two stoneware porcelin coated bakeware dishes for less than 10 bucks. They has some Le Creuset stoneware that was smaller at 15 each there as well. I also found a KitchenAid Hi-Density Hard Anodized Clad 13-Inch Brasier with Lid for 59.99 that looked promising.[p]The stoneware should do the trick but the size is a bit limiting and shallow for some things so I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Le Creuset or other metal pot. The kitchenAid brasier said the handles were safe to 500 degrees which should be plenty. I'd guess the Trivoli would be similar. [p]Anyone have experience with metal pots on the egg besides cast iron?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    dhuffjr,
    i use the lecreusett, and earthen ware bean pots, both work well. something that i have heard that works well, is the ceramic liners in crock pots,a lot of folks probably have one, but never thought to try it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    fishlessman,
    I used a Pampered Chef circular ceramic baking pan last Sunday for Forever Roast Lamb. It's a new-to-me recipe for a butterflied boneless leg of lamb, stuffed with sauteed onions and sage, rolled and tied, rubbed with toasted fennel and coriander seed, and set directly on a bed of carrots, celery, and onions. Roasted at 250 for about 8 or 9 hours. The lamb was delicious. The pan--I thought it would have to be tossed as it looked like a tar pit, with the blackened remains of the base vegetables. To make a long story short, that pan cleaned up like a dream, using very water and a plastic scraper (no soap). I did use baking soda. That pan looks like new. I'm so amazed.

• Gretl,
    Sometimes lining the pan with aluminum foil before the goodies are added will make the cleanup less frustrating!

• dhuffjr,[p]Calphalon makes a "Tri-foil" line of pans that is a triple layered sandwich of Copper, Aluminum, and stainless steel. The line includes an oval roaster that just fits in the LBGE if you bend the handles up a little.[p]Was an excellent choice for roasting in the egg. Cleaned up like new, and the stainless steel cooking surface is great becuase it really sheilds the meat and pan juices from the hot spots in the charcoal. Excellent.
    [ul][li]Calphalon Tri-Foil Oval Roaster[/ul]
  • dhuffjr,
    TJ Maxx and Marshall's Department stores typically have the Le Crueset pots / pans in stock... I've seen them at prices like 449 - $99 - $119, depending on size. I bought a 5 and a 7 quart last year, less than $100 each, but have never considered putting them on the egg... perhaps I will try it after reading this.

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    dhuffjr,[p]Haven't tried them out yet, but for the price I won't mind using them on the BGE. I'll let you all know how they work out when I try them out this weekend. One is a 5qt. oval($60)the other is a 3 qt. round($49).[p]-Jill
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    dhuffjr,
    I got very lucky one day at the discount store and found a Le Creuset and a Staub 5-6 quart cast iron enameled dutch oven. One for $19.99 and one for $29.99. I do understand my good fortune and it makes the food taste so good.
    Always check the discount stores for the deal...
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Chuckgga,
    Marshalls is where I got the stoneware from. No go on Le Creuset this time.

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I have the large oval dutch oven - it works great.