Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for 1st time curing then smoking bacon on XLBGE. Links / Tips / General words of wisdom

Options
nutshellml
nutshellml Posts: 166
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
Afternoon all... I'm going to make my first attempt of curing and smoking some bacon on my XLBGE.  I have zero clue and plan to do some googling, but wanted to touch base here to any links to recipes/methods and general tips from start to finish.  Specifically and asks for the cut? trimming advice.

I already bought some pink Himalayan sea salt, ( J/K).

Thanks in advance...
Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I followed this, and it was easy and came out amazing.

http://ruhlman.com/2016/04/bacon-time/

NOLA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Many of us have used the same method as @buzd504 mentioned above.  Ruhlman wrote a book on charcuterie.  I have it and would recommend picking it up.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00CF2MBB2/ruhlmancom

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 on both comments above.  Ruhlman provides a good basic cure from which you can play with flavor profiles.  I've found garlic-rosemary bacon to be a favorite savory version.  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Excellent, Thanks! 
    Northern Jersey
  • nutshellml
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Do you find you need or should trim the belly's you get at butcher? 

Also, i've read that you should do a salt test / fry after the cure, thoughts?

Any issues to vacuum seal the bacon while it's curing?
    Northern Jersey
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Buy the book by Ruhlman it is great. You will trim the fat cap off after you smoke the belly, much easier that way. This is a very easy project, good luck!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Sounds good... Thanks, heading to amazon... always like to learn from an expert.
    Northern Jersey
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you find you need or should trim the belly's you get at butcher? 

Also, i've read that you should do a salt test / fry after the cure, thoughts?

Any issues to vacuum seal the bacon while it's curing?
    I get my bellys at Costco and have not needed to trim. People will square the ends for even slicing. I would wait until after the cure and you can use the trimmings as lardons.

Yes on the test-fry. Soak, then test. That way you can soak more if necessary.

No on vac sealing, it actually helps ensure constant contact of cure and meat. I use the expandable food saver bags for it.
  • SirSquatch
    SirSquatch Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm no expert, but here is how I make bacon http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201775/cold-smoked-bacon
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Here's my go-to info on bacon curing: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html

I generally buy ~10lb pork bellies from Costco - no trimming needed (skin is removed).  If the skin was still on the pork belly, all the better - just fry it up  =)

No special equipment required.  I generally cut the slab in half and use two, 2-gallon ziploc bags for the curing process (I generally use a wet cure, but feel free to try to dry cure if you have fewer beverages than I do).

Definitely do a test for salinity, easy to soak before smoking but not so much afterward.  
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    or this one:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1993194#Comment_1993194

The only trimming is 1)removing the skin/rind before curing.  I did a simple cure of br.sugar/kosher salt/lots of cracked pepper. into a plastic bag (I used a kitchen trash bag) and into the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Then smoked with a very small amount of red hot lump with a couple chunks of hickory or cherry.  I do rinse the bacon and then reapply more brsugar and pepper - doesn't need any more salt.  dome should never get above ~185-190. smoked it for 3-4hrs. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Cannot overemphasize how nice it is to get the skinless bellies from Costco.  The cure gets into the meat from all sides this way (I know you can cut the skin off yourself, but it's a job best done with more than 2 hands, which increases the chance of one of those hands finding the knife blade)  curing and cutting the skin off after the cook is easy, but you have an unevenly cured slab of bacon, as cure does not penetrate the skin very well. 

Another approach, cheaper and leaner, is making buckboard bacon from boneless butts.  Just open them up and cut in half and proceed just like belly bacon.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like brining and smoking skin on.  Removal is not too difficult post hot smoke.  I think it helps my bacon take on less salt.  It all works however.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Masonite
    Masonite Posts: 1
    Options
    Himalayan Pink salt is not a curing agent. Recommend using Prague Powder #1 or Tender Quick as curing agent. See link to Ruhlman recipe above.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Ok, 7 days have passed, I pulled from fridge, did a test cook and was really salty.  Gave it a cold water bath for about 5 hours now I'm ready to smoke.

200-225 indirect until internal temp is 150*
    Question - Thinking of using applewood, how many chunks?  Any other recommendations on wood?
    Northern Jersey
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Last time,I put in 5 fist sized chunks, and it worked well.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 for test frying- first time I made it I did and no issues. So the second time I didn't bother and the batch is so salty it's only good to mix in with Brussel sprouts, etc. 

i have found I like it cold smoked for about 10 hrs and then hot smoked to temp. But we like the smokey taste-
    Greensboro, NC
  • nutshellml
    edited April 2017
    Options
    FINISHED.

10lb pork belly from Costco (no skin) cut into two 5lb pieces
    7-day cure - Ruhlman Curing recipe 
    Test cook > too salty > 5-6hr water bath (I should have done overnight, can you over-bathe it? that was my worry)
    200* XLBGE, 4-5 chunks of applewood
    About 3 hour smoke to get bacon to 150*.

PERFECT.

Thanks for all the help here!
    Northern Jersey