Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on wrapping my brisket

Options
The brisket is on at 275 and the internal temp after not quite 2 hours is 154. 

I plan to wrap it with butcher paper but I'm not sure if my original plan of doing it at 160 is the way to go since it is only 2 hours into the cook.

At what IT should I wrap the brisket? Is there some other factor that should determine when to wrap? Once wrapped should it stay wrapped until I hit my target temp?

Plan is to pull it at 195. But I will confirm that by touch and probing it. 
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited April 2017
    Options
    1) how big is the brisket?
    2) have you calibrated your dome thermo lately?  how are you taking internal temp and has that been calibrated?
    3) I wrap at 165 and let it run 'til done - unless it is a prime there's a pretty good chance you aren't gonna be done until 200 - 205.  The speed at which it gets to 160/165 doesn't bear on whether you wrap.
    4) I usually run at 225 - 235 versus 275 unless I'm in a hurry, athen bump it if I need to speed it up.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Its just under 7 pounds and I am using the probe from my FlameBoss. It has been calibrated as has the dome thermometer (about a month ago)
    MiniMax 04/17

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Here's a link to a test Aaron Franklin ran regarding various wrap options:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw  Worth a look some -time. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Depending on your target finish time I'd lower the temp the temp down if you have time. 

I'd still wrap at 165.  Briskets do what they want and it'd possible you could have a very long stall coming up...or not.   =)

Brisket - art, not science.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    The art is that you should wrap when you are happy with the bark. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I lowered the temp to 255 and is holding fine.
    MiniMax 04/17

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Agree with @Foghorn. It's also a guide to wrap after the stall, pending good bark. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    To wrap, or not to wrap?  That is the question. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Not for me. I'm sold on butcher paper.  Those who aren't are just wrong. Or ignorant. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Not for me. I'm sold on butcher paper.  Those who aren't are just wrong. Or ignorant. 
    Do you use apple juice in your drip pan or just water?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    My preference is wrapping too.  I also like rapping, yo. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    I hate wrapping, tried once with aluminum foil and it caused my microwave to catch on fire/explode ...  might try with butcher paper next time.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Foghorn
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Water with slices of onion. It's a natural meat tenderizer.  But only on my Klose offset.  Because David Klose told me to one day when I spoke to him on the phone. 

No liquid in the drip pan on the egg. 

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Just water.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:
    bgebrent said:
    Water with slices of onion. It's a natural meat tenderizer.  But only on my Klose offset.  Because David Klose told me to one day when I spoke to him on the phone. 

No liquid in the drip pan on the egg. 
    Since a flat can dry out easily, I used a water pan instead of a drip pan. Brisket is the only thing use a water pan for. But I always use a drip pan when going indirect.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The IT actually dropped from 164 to 161 over the course of an hour and a half before starting to climb again.

It jsut hit 165 so I am going to pull and wrap.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Foghorn
    Options
    It sounds like you are on your way to a great brisket. 

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Just before I wrapped it at 165. After opening the lid, wrapping and getting it back on and shut again the pit is back to 255 and the IT is at 167 and rising.

MiniMax 04/17

• bgebrent
    Options
    I use no liquid in the drip pan either.  Your brisket is looking mighty fine.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Any suggestion as to what to do with the water and drippings in the pan?
    MiniMax 04/17

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Just want to make sure you took the temp in more than one spot. It's possible the temp probe was placed in an area that could give you a unusually high reading. Also, a higher pit temp will shorten the stall.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Heck yeah. 

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks @StillH2OEgger; once the meat probe gets to 195 I'll verify with my instant read thermometer and with a toothpick before pulling.

MiniMax 04/17

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Thanks @StillH2OEgger; once the meat probe gets to 195 I'll verify with my instant read thermometer and with a toothpick before pulling.

No need to use a tooth pick if you have your temp meter handy.  Just use it to probe with in a few spots.  My guess is you may be going over 195.  I haven't pulled one off at 195 in a long time.  

If you didn't get rid of the drippings you can keep them to pour over when you serve it, but it should create juice while wrapped in paper as well.  I haven't tired butchers paper yet, maybe some day.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you want to use the drippings I would simmer on the stove to reduce and add some spices (like the rub you used) and some Worcestershire or fish sauce to taste. Once reduced put in a container in the fridge for 30-45 minutes and the fat should rise to the top and you can skim off. Or, use a fat separator if you have one. Use it like an au jus or if you like sauce add some to the sauce for a kicked up brisket sauce. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    If you wrap at IT of 165º using a Maverick how do know when the IT reaches say 205º to pull.  Looks like to me if the Maverick probe remains in the meat there will be an air leak where the probe goes through the butcher paper.  Please help me here!  Also is Parchment paper the same as butcher paper?  Thanks guys!  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @flexfusion, I put the brisket on the paper and wrap up the sides then stab my temp probe in before I complete the wrap - while I still have a view of the top of the brisket.  Having a stab hole in the paper is no big deal.   It doesn't have to be COMPLETELY airtight but with a good wrap you can make it nearly so. 

With that said, when you think it is done, I would encourage you to partially unwrap and use the probe in several locations and don't be afraid to put it back on for a little while.  I pulled one too early when I trusted that I had the probe in the right place.

San Antonio, TX