Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raw ham hocks

Options
wobin
wobin Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brine them first or what?[p]Thanks, Glenn

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d10a770c.jpg
    <p />wobin,[p]Hocks are very easy to do, you just have a lot of choices...You can brine, but you don't have to. It's one of those things you have to let your taste buds figure out. Maybe try a few each way and decide. You can also buy smoked hocks or shanks and double smoke them, they are good too.[p]Here is a basic brine for hocks. The pink salt is not mandatory due to the refrigeration used, but it does add a different flavor and improves color and texture. If you don't have access to pink salt, you can use TenderQuick. If you have no experience with either of these additives, you can start with a lighter dose. [p]1 gallon water
    1-1/2 cups Mortons Kosher Salt (or 2 cups of Diamond)
    8 teaspoons pink salt
    1 cup sugar [p]Mix brine and simmer until everything is dissolved. Chill completely, then add the hocks and keep refrigerated for 3 days using a non-reactive container. Rinse very well in cool water, dry and return to the refrigerator on a rack, for 24 hours. Hot smoke until the internal is 160°. I really like maple wood, but cherry works too.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks thirdeye, I only bought 4 of them to experiment buy looks like my store will be handling them from now on.

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    thirdeye, Oh those look sooo good, please tell us what temp and how long you cooked them. I want to try them for sure. Thanks a bunch, Willie.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    beans2.jpg
    <p />Willie,[p]That was a batch of the store-bought ones (cured and smoked) that I gave a second smoke. These are easier to experiment with than fresh ones since they are ready to go right out of the package. I smoke 'em around 225° or less at the grate, indirect, with some rub or at least black pepper for around 3 hours. They will sweat for the first hour, then start to brown up. After the second smoke, they can be braised at low temps until they are ready to fall off the bone, but I really like to use them in beans. [p]If you click the link, you will go to a page showing hog jowl & trotters too. From that page, go back to my homepage and look in the "Side Dish" section for pinto and Senate bean soup recipes.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    thirdeye, Thank you for the information, it is now stored in "my favourites" section. As I love soups and stews, I will refer to it often for sure.Willie.