Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built in blackstone griddle questions

Options
I am thinking about building in a 36" blackstone griddle into my outdoor kitchen.  I have seen a few examples here, @grege345, @jdkeithbge -- I'd like to do some planning.

I have a few questions -- and anyone else that might have done something similar, I am interested in your experiences.

1.  Did you have to cut the legs off to build it in?  It looks like there is the leg as well as a "leg holder" for lack of a better term that the leg fits in to.  If I wanted it to see flat in my built in, would I have to cut off the leg holder as well?

2.  Did any of you convert from propane to natural gas?

3.  Were there any other mods you had to do?

4.  For any that don't have a covered setup, did you get a cover or do anything else to protect the cooking surface from the elements/sun. -- Thinking about maybe a cover for prep when not in use.

Thanks everyone for your help!  If there is anything else I might not be considering, please let me know.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @meatchurch just did a built in griddle.  Maybe Matt would offer some advice
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Ha if you figure out a solution to #2, let me know!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Blackstone says early to mid-summer for natural gas conversion kit. But it looks like they've been saying "any day now" for a while. Who knows.

Go here, https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/griddle-101/ and search for natural gas.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If you're going through the trouble of designing and building an ODK why on earth would you get a POS Blackstone :confused:
    Assuming the custom build isn't free I'd personally go with something better. But, I know the forum sheeple will herd in anytime now and banish me for saying such blasphemy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    To answer your questions:
    1. No, I didn't cut anything, I just let the BS sit on the "leg mounts" (for lack of a better term), making sure it was sitting level. 

2. Nope.  If I had NG already near where the kitchen was going I might have considered.  I have room for 2 propane tanks underneath the BS in a cabinet.

3. I am still figuring out a proper drain mod, since the drain hangs over the counter top a bit.  @lkapigian was kind enough to send me his copper pipe drain hack, but I still need to bend it somehow to get it to drain around the counter.  I bent the stock grease cup/hanger such that it sorta works and I put it on when cooking high grease foods.  This hasn't been a major issue but I would still say it needs to be resolved.

4. Since the stock BS covers are made to fit over the side tables and legs they don't work for a built in BS.  After looking around, I went with this built-in grill cover.  It's a little baggy, but I can tuck in the bottom front portion that hangs down and it works well.  Long term I would like to have a stainless box fabricated that would fit on top and double as a work surface.

I can send some better photos of my setup with close ups of these items if it would be helpful, just PM me.  We have really enjoyed using the BS and having it built in to the kitchen has been great.  The contractor used Durock over the wood frame and then put tile over that, allowing some space for ventilation, to address any potential flammability concerns.  Keep in mind the BS puts out a lot of heat especially around the sides while cooking, so don't set a metal bowl (or plastic for that matter) too close to it while cooking (don't ask me how I know!).  Good luck!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    If you're going through the trouble of designing and building an ODK why on earth would you get a POS Blackstone :confused:
    Assuming the custom build isn't free I'd personally go with something better. But, I know the forum sheeple will herd in anytime now and banish me for saying such blasphemy. 

I agree, cheap griddle.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

I agree, cheap griddle.

For a cheap price and works great for what it is. I'd not purpose it in ODK. I'd go heavier duty and higher quality. However, to each his own. And Blake is hereby banished =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Blackstone says early to mid-summer for natural gas conversion kit. But it looks like they've been saying "any day now" for a while. Who knows.

Go here, https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/griddle-101/ and search for natural gas.
    The only thing on a natural gas conversion is that the orifice into the burner is a little large and the gas regulator on unit would have to be changed. Very simple. Tell me the BTU's of burner and I can get you the drill size to drill out yours. I may have the orifices. Take a picture of the brass fitting that goes into the burner and post it. LP has is at a higher pressure so the hole is smaller, it can be reamed out. Since hole is larger on natural gas, the pressure regulator has to be set lower. Unless you have an adjustable regulator(unlikely) that will have to change. It should just unscrew on gas supply line on back of unit.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

As one of the bigger fans of the Blackstone, I'll admit it isn't a forever appliance.  At the rate I use mine, and in my climate - I'd anticipate about 6-7 years out of it.

On the subject of built ins though, just because something is sold with a big price tag and designed to be built in, doesn't make it quality.  The bbq at my folks winter rental is a high dollar built in.  I'd rather cook on a yard sale kettle hands down. 

An example would be the the EVO griddle.  Cost around $4000, and imho, these are not designed well.  I've seen some nice flat tops though that would put the Blackstone to shame, thankfully I forget the brand names.  
    Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Such a d1ck B-la-ke
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    @meatchurch just did a built in griddle.  Maybe Matt would offer some advice
    Matt has a sweet setup. Looks solid, but cannot remember the brand. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good points @blasting.

There are guys, with full blown beautiful custom WFOs, who end up using their BS oven more, without sacrificing quality of end product.  I think cool factor and ambiance are the main attractions with elaborate ODKs, companies capitalize on this.  When this fades, most then look to convenience. 

Coming full circle back to the kettle, I think it is more the magician, that makes the trick.  Judging by your BS pics, and others here, IDK how a $4000 griddle would be a wise investment.  How much better can griddle vittles get?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    blasting said:

On the subject of built ins though, just because something is sold with a big price tag and designed to be built in, doesn't make it quality.  The bbq at my folks winter rental is a high dollar built in.  I'd rather cook on a yard sale kettle hands down. 

That is a good point. I have never cooked on one of the high dollar built in units...but how much better could it possibly cook than a weber genesis? It seems like they take a decent gasser grill, remove the stand and cabinets, then charge 4x the price. It is sort of like the MiniMax pricing model (but more extreme). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

That is a good point. I have never cooked on one of the high dollar built in units...but how much better could it possibly cook than a weber genesis? It seems like they take a decent gasser grill, remove the stand and cabinets, then charge 4x the price. It is sort of like the MiniMax pricing model (but more extreme). 
    Yep, the "keepin' up with the Jones'" yuppie type, line up like staring down concrete at Franklin's....bigly uuge market. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."