Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Real good beef ribs and jicama

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
CloseUpCooked.jpg
<p />I suspect I was lucky to get some pretty good quality beef ribs for yesterday's meal. I had earlier done both beef and bison short ribs, and they were only passable. These ribs turned out very well. I first soaked them in straight lime juice for 2 hours. Then rubbed them with DP RedEye Express. Did them 3-1-1 style, with drip pan on raised grill with dome pretty steady at 250. Turned once at 1.5 hour. Foiled them with added dilute Grenadine syrup, which added a nice red hue. During the last hour, I was able to fit some 1/4" slices of jicama on the grill. These were coated with a mixture of equal parts butter, lemon juice, and honey. I decided to glaze the meat with that same mixture.[p]CloseUpServed.jpg[p]At the end, the meat really was falling off the bone, with only the cartiledge attaching the flesh to the bone having any strength at all. The jicama remained partially crisp. While it didn't brown much, it was quite flavorful. Personally, I thought the meat was a little too sweet, but the rest of the family had no problems polishing them off. [p]TheBone.jpg[p]Actually, the ribs set off a bit of feeding frenzy.[p]gdenby

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning gdenby:[p]Great looking ribs! I should be doing some next weekend (supposed to be getting a slab from a friend). I haven't done any in quite awhile so it is time.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    gdenby, What is Jicama? Ribs look great. Nothing like the sound of burbing and clean bones dropping onto a plate.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Charbon,[p]Jicama is native to Mexico, and is sometimes called Mexican turnip, although it tastes nothing like turnip. Its a somewhat fibrous tuber that has a mild sweet taste, more like a fruit than vegetable. Usually its just shredded up into salads. The biggest I've seen are bigger than a grapefruit. It worked pretty well as an egged side. At one hour it was becoming somewhat translucent, and a little tender. I'll have to try more and see if it can be cooked soft.[p]gdenby