Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Temp. for Non-TRex steaks?

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never used my Large as a "normal" grill. I'm cooking some Costco Ribeyes so they are about an inch thick. Thinking of using the grill right on the fire ring, instead of raised, to get a nice char. What is a good temp to start things off at? I am assuming maybe 450 or so on the dome thermometer? Also, does keeping the lid closed between turnings help reduce the flare ups? Thanks and sorry about the long post.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    orion11,
    I think most people would put the grid on the fire ring for searing steaks. Personally, I let the dome get up to around 750 degrees to get a nice sear. After both sides are seared, then I shut the vents and roast the steak until it is done. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • orion11
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I guess the best timer is the ole thermometer, eh? Never tried resting the steaks like that. Hey, I'm always up for something new. Thanks

• orion11
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Just thought of something, do I sear it on both sides, shut the vents and leave it on the grid? I think I mis-read the answer the first time, no need to take them off and "rest" them and let the Egg cool down?

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    orion11,
    Yep, I often just sear both sides, close the vents and let the steak roast while the egg cools. You can try that and then try the rest period next time. See what you think.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz