Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intended / Unintended usage of other products in your rubs, cooking preperation......

Options
The title may poorly represent the intended discussion of my post. This morning while pouring the last of my cereal (from my Honey Nut Cheerio's) I sifted out the remaining honey dust. Normally I dispose of it along with the inner liner. Today I had a brain fart (even before my coffee / tea) that ha wait, this might have some flavor profile to a rub where you want to infuse some honey sweetness. I know, in know, this is really a deep fart, but maybe it doesn't stink......especially for a simple southern guy who pulls for the Gamecocks with little hope of winning anything (oops....sorry i opened the door and mentioned of our men's and women's teams being in the final four)....I digress. At any rate, are their items you save like the for-mentioned above....that you use in other ways. Share if you will......might get interesting. I want to know.

Oh and go Cocks!
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I know that farmers scatter chicken **** in their fields for fertilization... but I digress. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ham bones for veggie soup =)  theres usually lobster legs, wing tips, extra chopped onion in the freezer.  i sometimes fill a bag with different meats raw cut off anything im cooking that looks like to much for portuguese rotten pot.  theres always pickle juice. the waxy rinds of cheese for soup. honey nut cheerios  crumbs could win a wing throwdown ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @fishlessman Tell me about the waxy cheese rind in soup.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    simmer the parmasian, asiago, romano cheese ends in the soup and remove before serving. theres alot of flavor in those things
    fukahwee maine

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I'm trying to eat a little better and last night I roasted some brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli, drizzled with olive oil and dusted with some Weber Kickin' Chicken rub.
    Now, I know that does not fit in to adding stuff to rub, but more adding rub to other stuff, but it was really tasty.
    And, as a diehard Dawg, I don't think I have ever said this, but...GO Gamecocks...wow that was harder to type than I had imagined.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I grind a bunch of whole spices...clove, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, black pepper, etc. And I don't bother really cleaning it out much in between uses.  I tell myself it will add an interesting note to whatever I am making next but I don't think it actually makes a difference.
    Toronto ON
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Heck I have seen people use potatoe chips to coat Sea bass!!  :o;)
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    simmer the parmasian, asiago, romano cheese ends in the soup and remove before serving. theres alot of flavor in those things

I always take the rind of those hard cheeses and let them steep in soups, tomato sauces etc.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    The title may poorly represent the intended discussion of my post. This morning while pouring the last of my cereal (from my Honey Nut Cheerio's) I sifted out the remaining honey dust. Normally I dispose of it along with the inner liner. Today I had a brain fart (even before my coffee / tea) that ha wait, this might have some flavor profile to a rub where you want to infuse some honey sweetness. I know, in know, this is really a deep fart, but maybe it doesn't stink......especially for a simple southern guy who pulls for the Gamecocks with little hope of winning anything (oops....sorry i opened the door and mentioned of our men's and women's teams being in the final four)....I digress. At any rate, are their items you save like the for-mentioned above....that you use in other ways. Share if you will......might get interesting. I want to know.

Oh and go Cocks!

I like the dustings of cereals in the bottom of the bags. That's my favorite part.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nothing much to add except, Go Cocks!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fishlessman
    Options
    for those that dont read the directions on the tin foil box, they intentionally put push in tabs on the end of the box that holds the roll in the box when pulling the foil out =)
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had a jar of minced garlic I have used to cook with and prep meat for the grill. tilting the jar to get a spoon full, the juice poured out over the meat. No longer use the minced garlic for the rub, use garlic juice for marinating. Delicious savory flavor.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I had a jar of minced garlic I have used to cook with and prep meat for the grill. tilting the jar to get a spoon full, the juice poured out over the meat. No longer use the minced garlic for the rub, use garlic juice for marinating. Delicious savory flavor.
    I do the same thing with the minced garlic!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    YukonRon said:
    You and Ron use jarred garlic? Now that is lazy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Asian grocery stores sell a product called Honey Powder which is a mixture of honey and sugar which goes great in rubs.  I'm sure it is very similar to the crumbs at the bottom of some cereal boxes.  You can use it to make tea, but it has lots of other uses.  Amazon also sells it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    YukonRon said:
    My wife uses it, I just steal the juice. I only use fresh garlic.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    YukonRon said:
    My wife uses it, I just steal the juice. I only use fresh garlic.
    They have not invented the low bar for laziness that I can't limbo under.
    Just sayin'.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky