Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table nest necessary

Options
This is why you need a table nest.  The two dealers in my area do not carry them, they don't even really know what I'm talking about. I did however order one with my warranty parts back in November, buuuut my dealer is an idiot and it never came I guess.  I did get my warranty parts at least.

This is under a patio block.  You can see the ring of the egg even though it is a square patio block.

Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Stone, or air gap (nest) is a must!  That a lot of concentrated heat directly on a combustible table!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @bigalsworth -  thank you for the PSA.  Glad it was found before a catastrophic failure.   
    Edit:  You need an air gap for the insulation properties.  A stone is not enough in my book.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Yikes!  Looks like you dodged a bullet 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Good heads up. A dealer that does not stock them and don't even really know what you are talking about, would worry me.
    A few years ago when the new Corvette came out, I stopped in to a Chevy dealer and told the salesperson who greeted me that I would like to see the new C7. He looked at me with a kinda blank look and said, "C7, what's that?"
    Nevermind I said and slowly walked away.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Stone, or air gap (nest) is a must!  That a lot of concentrated heat directly on a combustible table!
    This is not a 'OR' situation... you need both on wood table....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    I completely agree with this.  I knew I needed one, that is why I ordered it.  While my dealer was pretty good with the warranty, every other experience I have had with them has been pretty bad.  I did just get a phone call from the other dealer in my area and they can get me a table nest by tomorrow afternoon, and since I am doing a brisket tomorrow night the timing is good.

When I ordered it in november and after I explained what it was, my dealer told me that it was unnecessary, I argued the point but I didn't convince him.  The picture should convince him though.  He also did tell me when I bought the egg that he has never heard of one cracking before, I knew it was hogwash, it is ceramic after all.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Rte1985
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    A lot of people have done double paver stone with zero issues (a lot have done large single paver with no issues) and yes a large enough air barrier would suffice( now you are correct that the nest itself is not sufficient air gap) it's all a matter of heat transfer... So this CAN be an OR situation if done correctly.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nothing new here. Always amazes me that people are surprised when this happens. It gets HOT down there, folks!!

Ask @FlaPoolman...

Or @fishlessman...

.....Or @bigalsworth =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Lol i'm not surprised, I knew it was happening.  Doesn't mean I'm smart though.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Surprised was the wrong word, I guess. More like, it always amazes me that people let this happen. Although, I'm sure some ARE surprised. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Surprised was the wrong word, I guess. More like, it always amazes me that people let this happen. Although, I'm sure some ARE surprised. =)
    depending on how you do a word a search a lone paver solution can come with glowing reviews.  My dealer told me that is all I needed, and as stated above some get away with it.  I knew the risk and I took it (stupid, but I did it anyway).  I did monitor the wood underneath, but only looking from the bottom, and from the bottom it still looks perfectly fine.

There are likely many who are surprised.  I think of my own dealer, how many eggs has he sold telling customers it is all okay, and I doubt many find their way to the internet to even bother to look it up.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Rte1985
    Options
    Its all about the laws of thermal conductivity.  A 2 inch paver won't fair as well as a 4 inch paver.  Take the egg for example. You can be cooking at 300 degrees.  If you touch the inside ceramic of the egg you will burn the crap out your hand. But you can put your hand on the outside of the egg and it's warm but not 300 degrees warm.  If the ceramic of the egg was twice as thick it would be even cooler to touch.  There is a lot of variables. Surface area thickness material etc.  but being over cautious and doubling up your security net gives peace of mind! Always better to be safe than sorry!
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Its all about the laws of thermal conductivity.  A 2 inch paver won't fair as well as a 4 inch paver.  Take the egg for example. You can be cooking at 300 degrees.  If you touch the inside ceramic of the egg you will burn the crap out your hand. But you can put your hand on the outside of the egg and it's warm but not 300 degrees warm.  If the ceramic of the egg was twice as thick it would be even cooler to touch.  There is a lot of variables. Surface area thickness material etc.  but being over cautious and doubling up your security net gives peace of mind! Always better to be safe than sorry!
    Yes, I teach advanced thermodynamics.  Stating that will make me look like more of an idiot, but I mean it when I say I knew the risks and did it anyway.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Rte1985
    Options
     :o well mistakes are life's learning opportunity!  And I seem to always be in class! Safe cooking everyone
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I have a metal Challenger table and I still have a nest.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Typically I am not "both suspenders and a belt" kind of guy, but I always figured if 1 cement block was a good thing then 2 was better!  =) What isn't clear in this picture is that both eggs are also resting on the 3 green feet that eggs used to come with. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rte1985
    Options
    Nice setup Ron!  I don't know why the green feet became extinct.  I think a lot of owners would love to have them.  I know I would
  • RRP
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Nice setup Ron!  I don't know why the green feet became extinct.  I think a lot of owners would love to have them.  I know I would
    Thanks - IMHO the feet were discontinued as a cost saving measure when they started selling the metal stand to replace it. See the correlation here? $$$

BTW ceramic pot feet are easily found at nursery shops.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the paver and three quarters for an airspace works well ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rte1985
    Options
    It's always about money!  Thanks for the info. Il check my nursery soon since garden season is right around the corner
  • PatBateman
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Rte1985 said:
    A lot of people have done double paver stone with zero issues (a lot have done large single paver with no issues) and yes a large enough air barrier would suffice( now you are correct that the nest itself is not sufficient air gap) it's all a matter of heat transfer... So this CAN be an OR situation if done correctly.
    I'm confused as to why the table-nest alone does not suffice?
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    That's exactly why I have paver and table nest.... too many stories about issues when no air gap...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Rte1985 said:
    It will suffice. The paver is the item that is not needed either by itself or with the table nest.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Rte1985 said:
    It will suffice. The paver is the item that is not needed either by itself or with the table nest.
    My main reason for adding the paver underneath the table nest is to have buffer for the shelf the egg sits on when the screen vent is open....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    depending on how you do a word a search a lone paver solution can come with glowing reviews.  My dealer told me that is all I needed, and as stated above some get away with it.  I knew the risk and I took it (stupid, but I did it anyway).  I did monitor the wood underneath, but only looking from the bottom, and from the bottom it still looks perfectly fine.

There are likely many who are surprised.  I think of my own dealer, how many eggs has he sold telling customers it is all okay, and I doubt many find their way to the internet to even bother to look it up.
    I've posted this many times before but according to BGE the use of a concrete paver block, while not the preferred method, is acceptable practice and is shown on their official table plans:

I'm curious if using something other than the stock charcoal grate (e.g. Kick Ash Basket, High Que Grate) makes any difference in how it impacts the heat pattern thru the bottom.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Yes it does make a difference.  Especially if you still have the older ceramic grate.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I've had my egg sitting on paver. I noticed on the form that people were suggesting air gaps for under the egg. Never knew why until I did some research. That next day I went to my local dealer and picked up a table nest. Not sure if I really needed it. More for piece of mind. 
    Madison, AL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Remember that the thermal conductivity for a paver is an order of magnitude higher than air.  Granite and tile are an additional order of magnitude higher.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    Options
    Thomasc18 said:
    I've had my egg sitting on paver. I noticed on the form that people were suggesting air gaps for under the egg. Never knew why until I did some research. That next day I went to my local dealer and picked up a table nest. Not sure if I really needed it. More for piece of mind. 
    Way back in 2003 I had my Large resting on a single cement paver with no feet under it. One weekend after a very wet week I fired it up to sear some steaks. I heard a loud POP which scared me! The next morning I discovered that stone had cracked in half! I assumed that the porous paver had absorbed moisture and the high heat of the egg caused steam/whatever and broke it. So for the doubting Thomases out there I can assure you air space is still needed!
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    Way back in 2003 I had my Large resting on a single cement paver with no feet under it. One weekend after a very wet week I fired it up to sear some steaks. I heard a loud POP which scared me! The next morning I discovered that stone had cracked in half! I assumed that the porous paver had absorbed moisture and the high heat of the egg caused steam/whatever and broke it. So for the doubting Thomases out there I can assure you air space is still needed!
    Btw thanks for the 2 med gaskets. They arrived quickly!  I appreciate it
    Madison, AL