Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions from a new guy

Options
2»

Comments

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Hey calibrate the dome thermometer by placing it in boiling water without touching the bottom or sides. Move the nut on the back to set needle at 100C. (That's 212 but easier for these old eyes to see). Get some wood chunks and a butt. Then learn temp control, the butt is forgiving and when the learning exercise is over you can have a decent meal.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Love my thermopen. Great for your shorter cooks plus the wife likes it for indoor cooks as well!  Check Amazon. I thought I got my pen for 20-30 bucks and it works great! As for the stone you should be fine. Just don't temperature shock it!
    Do not, I repeat, do not, buy a thermopen from Amazon.  Buy it direct from http://www.thermoworks.com/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Acn said:
    Rte1985 said:
    Love my thermopen. Great for your shorter cooks plus the wife likes it for indoor cooks as well!  Check Amazon. I thought I got my pen for 20-30 bucks and it works great! As for the stone you should be fine. Just don't temperature shock it!
    Do not, I repeat, do not, buy a thermopen from Amazon.  Buy it direct from http://www.thermoworks.com/
    Other than cutting out the middleman and helping Themoworks get more profit, what is the reason for buying direct? Is there no or less warranty through Amazon? Just wondering.
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Acn said:
    Rte1985 said:
      I don't have a thermopen.  Mine is actually the javelin.  But it has been rock solid for me and for $25 bucks and 4.5 rating with over 3,000 reviews on amazon I'm happy.  Fast readings and time will tell on longevity but overall a good purchase for me.  If this one holds up I wont hesitate to get another one to replace it.  I will say thermopen might be the standard which all else are judge but depending on your budget there are other alternatives if you need to go cheaper.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have the Alpha Griller instant thermometer and its still working fine after 6 months. I even dropped it in the toilet and after a clean up and waiting for it to dry out it is still working fine. I checked calibration just a couple of weeks ago and it was spot on. I spend enough money on Egg toys and I can survive with a cheaper thermometer.

FYI: I do have an Infrared thermometer from Thermoworks.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I have a thermo pop arriving today for my dad. 3 second read time they say.   24$ st patty sale makes it pretty tough to beat.  
    Phoenix 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Acn said:
    Rte1985 said:
    Other than cutting out the middleman and helping Themoworks get more profit, what is the reason for buying direct? Is there no or less warranty through Amazon? Just wondering.
    The words from Thermoworks:

Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites   

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Acn said:
    Rte1985 said:
      I don't have a thermopen.  Mine is actually the javelin.  But it has been rock solid for me and for $25 bucks and 4.5 rating with over 3,000 reviews on amazon I'm happy.  Fast readings and time will tell on longevity but overall a good purchase for me.  If this one holds up I wont hesitate to get another one to replace it.  I will say thermopen might be the standard which all else are judge but depending on your budget there are other alternatives if you need to go cheaper.
    Yeah, I read that later - I just replied when I read the initial post.  It's still good general advice, I know a lot of times the first place I look to buy something would be Amazon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

I personally consider the Thermapen a must.  I'm sure other instant reads work well.  After all, the most important thing for a successful cook is the internal temp, IMO.

The thermapen gets other uses too.  When I think I'm running a fever, orally of course, making sure my house thermostat is correct, varying temps in different rooms around the house, etc.

Just my .02

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options

Acn said:
    Rte1985 said:
    Acn said:
    Rte1985 said:
    Yeah, I read that later - I just replied when I read the initial post.  It's still good general advice, I know a lot of times the first place I look to buy something would be Amazon.
    Well that dang prime membership.  Got it to save on diapers now I feel I'm part owner in the company with how much I buy!  There are so many toys to buy for the egg.  I keep adding to that list.  Thermometers Probe style and instant are a must out of the gate purchases imo.
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    FYI....Amazon no longer sells Thermo products!