Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have You Ever Smoked With Mulberry Wood?

Options
I have mulberry weeds...er trees.  A lot of them.  I usually hack a few down every year and burn them in a burn pile.  If I don't, I'll have a forest here within a couple three years.  It dawned on me that mulberry is a fruit.  Maybe I should cut some of that wood, season it and smoke with it?  What say you?  Have you ever smoked with mulberry wood?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have not. But I have seen it around for sale as smoking wood.

I actually think Fruitawood sells it.

Or it was a pellet brand I saw.  Either way I know people use it. Maybe not often, but it is used. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Conway_Twitty
    Options
    Y'all, I'm bookmarking this because this is honestly one of the most interesting threads I'v ever seen.  I have all kinds of stuff growing round my place and I think it would be fine if I could burn it and it would be free and if it gives my cooking food flavor that would be free flavor instead of buying wood chips (whaaat!).  I just bought a new chain saw and I'm itchin to cut down some of this stuff growing like a damn jungle around my place.  I like to cook meat sometimes and I'm always thinking about how to make it taste better and I think this thread is the best idea that I've seen so this is the best forum ever thanks guys!!!!!!!  Also, there is some vine growing everywhere like crazy and if that smokes good, man I can clean up these trees and smoke good food!!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I use it pretty often. Its quite good for poultry. Seems to me to add a slightly citrusy flavor. At least when using wood that from its rings is maybe 10 years old, and dried a year.

Note that larger pieces, say 6" thick, may not dry sitting in a garage for 6+ months, but actually start sprouting new branches.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Y'all, I'm bookmarking this because this is honestly one of the most interesting threads I'v ever seen.  I have all kinds of stuff growing round my place and I think it would be fine if I could burn it and it would be free and if it gives my cooking food flavor that would be free flavor instead of buying wood chips (whaaat!).  I just bought a new chain saw and I'm itchin to cut down some of this stuff growing like a damn jungle around my place.  I like to cook meat sometimes and I'm always thinking about how to make it taste better and I think this thread is the best idea that I've seen so this is the best forum ever thanks guys!!!!!!!  Also, there is some vine growing everywhere like crazy and if that smokes good, man I can clean up these trees and smoke good food!!!
    This is amazing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @bhedges1987 is correct.  I had to look.  Have at it Fred!  Looks like you could sell it too.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've gotten it from fruitawood before and I like it.  It's fairly mild.  Really good on lamb.
    NOLA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mulberry is good stuff, smells like cotton candy as it burns....mild, sweet.

Most love to chop them down because the birds shat mulberry remnants, over everything.

Plentiful here in IA/IL, as it grows like a weed.
    I still have a stack of it I got for free, for the Karubecue.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was sent some mulberry in the 4th of July BBQ exchange a few years back and really enjoyed it. The above comments are spot on, mild and sweet with a hint of tang is exactly how I'd describe it. 

It it was very good on chicken, so so on pork. I always wanted to toss a chunk in while cooking up some duck but never got around to it while I still had some. Sounds like you've got some chopping in your future!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Love the enthusiasm @Conway_Twitty.    Post pics of the damage you do to your backyard!  Good luck
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Mulberry, yup mild and sweet.  Black Cherry, yup, mild and sweet.  Hackberry (yes, it's a fruit tree), yup, not as mild, a little more smoke but not as strong as hickory or mesquite and sweet. 

All the above woods were "harvested" as I build SWMBO's garden and removed "SHADE HAZARDS"
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM