Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking Ribs slowly

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would something like a rack of beef ribs benefit from cooking slowly at say 225-250 for a couple of hours per pound or is that just for larger pieces of meat like a boston butt?[p]Thanks[p]-David

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    David,[p]Boy, do they ever. Treat them sort of like a big slab of spare ribs.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    David,
    i never go over 230 with beef ribs, and there is no 2 hour rule with them, they are done when they are done. you need meaty ribs with beef. 5-7 hours

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    April2005BeefBackRibs.jpg
    <p />David,[p]Yes! Cook them pretty much as you would spares. If you can find meaty ones, they are as good as anything you will cook on the egg.... good luck.[p]john
  • beefribs1.jpg
    <p />David,
    Beef ribs should go low and slow, but not on a Hours/Pound basis. You want the meat to pull back from the bones and the meat to be tender. It is more of a feel test than a time test.
    TNW

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    David,
    a full 7 bone rack takes about 5-7hours at 250 dome

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have tried slow cooking with the beef ribs and they did turn out great, but I was wondering if I needed to cook them so long. Ihave not tried doing them at a higher temp with a short cooking time since getting my egg and wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting time and charcole. I'm still new to the low slow thing and what types of meats its appropriate for.[p]Thanks[p]David
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, lean cuts of meat, are usually cooked hotter and faster, while fattier cuts benefit from lower and slower cooks. There are exceptions, but this is a good rule of thumb. You can cook your beef ribs faster, but you won't render all the fat and they may be greasy, which is OK if you like that flavor and/or texture.[p]Jim
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options