Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef for a crowd - Help!

Options
Hoov
Hoov Posts: 264
This weekend I'll be feeding 20-25 people (mostly adults, a handful of children) and I'm struggling to find any recommendations for how much chuck roast to cook for pulled beef sandwiches. It will be the main dish, but there will be sides and appetizers as well to supplement. 

I've done pepper stout beef a number of times, and it always goes over well with guests, but never for 25 people. I have a large egg with adjustable rig for the cook. Does anyone have any recommendations for this cook? Also was hoping to get advice on reheating, as the get together will be at 11 am, so I would rather cook the day before unless reheating would be considerably worse than fresh off the egg. 

Thanks for the help!

- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'm bad at estimating, always end up with too much. 

Re reheating - cooking the day before works great. I cook it all up and shred it with the peppers, and chill it quickly in an ice water bath, in ziplock bags. The next day I reheat in a hot water bath to a temp of 165. No reason you couldn't reheat in a pot on the stove or crockpot or oven, either, just be sure to have some juice along with it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I vacuum seal this all the time and it's just as good reheated. Cook early and you will be fine. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I do a Chuck Roll easy and awesome  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    I would just scale up from your prior experiences.  Also with kids, toss on hot-dogs and that will cut down on the beef demand.  Chuckies don't shrink as much as other larger proteins so their yield at cooked weight should be greater than a brisket or butt.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I would just scale up from your prior experiences.  Also with kids, toss on hot-dogs and that will cut down on the beef demand.  Chuckies don't shrink as much as other larger proteins so their yield at cooked weight should be greater than a brisket or butt.
    There's some great advice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'd probably buy 15lbs to cook if I were were you
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    There's some great advice.
    Agreed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The saying, "better to have too much than not enough," inspired my earlier post banking on 25 guests rather than 20.

3lb chuck in a crock pot with potatoes and carrots feeds 4 adults (with healthy appetites) with minimal leftovers I've found 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gwizrace
    Gwizrace Posts: 74
    Options
    I'd do 4-5pounders after cooking down you should end up with around 17lbs  that should be plenty
    Cheektowaga N.Y      LBGE,PRIMO XL, COOKSHAKE fec100,TRAEGER PRO 34,
    Hunsaker Drum,WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN 22.5,Bbq Guru Dx2,Cyberq Could 
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Once you get set on the amount of meat, get slider rolls.  This will help extend whatever you decided on the amount of protein to cook,
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you are using the pepper stout beef recipe then I think you could simply reheat it in the pan(s) that you cook it in.  The steps for this recipe are basically:
    1) smoke the chuckie to 160
    2) Put in a pan with pepper, onion, beer, etc
    3) Cook until pullable
    4) Pull the beef.
    5) Put the pulled beef back in the cooker (uncovered) until liquid is reduced by half.

I would cover the pans with foil and refrigerate after step 4, then do step 5 an hour or two before serving.  I think it would be fine to use an oven instead of the egg for the reheat if you don't want to fire up the egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Hope everything goes well!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK