Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL Egg

Options

I have 2 large eggs in an outdoor kitchen and have been thinking of a trailer mounted bbq pit for bigger parties. I cooked on a commercial built offset smoker (built in Oklahoma and shipped to the rig here in Australia). I cooked 25 chickens, 35 racks of pork ribs, 7 briskets, 8 standing rib eye roasts and about 50 links of sausage. I can't believe anyone would enjoy cooking on one of these. I used 110 pounds of natural charcoal trying to keep the temp above 200 degrees for about 12 hours. I have decided, absolutely, that I don't want one of these. What I am thinking is a XXL egg mounted on my trailer. Has anyone had any bad experiences with the XXL? The lid looks so heavy it seems probable to have hinge problems. Does it really chew up charcoal? Any comments or experience would be appreciated. I hope all the old timers on the forum are still doing well. I have not logged on much in years.

Willy 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Never used one or seen one, but looking forward to your experience.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I had a bad experience when I saw the price  :s
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Willy! Good to see you stop by my friend! It has been such a long time since you checked in here I thought maybe you fell off that drilling platform and was still trying to swim back to the US!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Willy! Good to see you stop by my friend! It has been such a long time since you checked in here I thought maybe you fell off that drilling platform and was still trying to swim back to the US!
    Ooops! I missed your Australia comment. Not returning to TX? 
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    if you have the room on your trailer, buy 2 XL Eggs. You will have more cooking area, and save about 1500 US. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Coul said:
    if you have the room on your trailer, buy 2 XL Eggs. You will have more cooking area, and save about 1500 US. 
    Double + that 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Get an Avatar  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    I've had a 2XL for a couple of years...no issues....lid is heavy but no big deal....I use the same settings as with my XL...cooks just like it...burn rate is just like the XL....if I fill the fire box up completely for a 10 hr cook...it'll pretty much burn up 1/2 to 3/4 of the lump just like an XL...the difference is it'll take a whole bag of lump to fill it.....

Most times the cooks are just for the wife & I...in that case I only use maybe 1/3 the capacity and concentrate the pile in one area of the firebox and stack the lump as high as I can get it...cooks fine without wasting a bunch of lump....GL 
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Thanks, feels good to be back, just got out of the habit. How's the old "Spring Chicken"?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Offset smokers are more of a stick burner, not charcoal so that may be an issue .what kind of charcoal ?..what brand? I have a Kloe Pit, this weekend I did a Pig, 20 pounds of Pastrami, 30 pounds of Corned Beef, numerous sides ...I used about 20 pounds of charcoal to get my oak going and about 12. Logs through out the day...I would not want to transport ceramics ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    if your shopping...check out one of these..unless your just and eggfanatic..this will meet your needs and for the price, much better...

I've owned 3 of 'em and they will hold temp in a sideways snow storm...

http://www.stumpssmokers.com/

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Fat Willies BBQ? I qualify for Fat Willy's BBQ. You just sold a Stumps Smoker. I just got off the phone with Thad Estes and feel like I have cheated on my wife by not buying a BGE or two but having two ceramic cookers on a trailer on a rough road might have been asking for trouble. I really appreciate all the feed back and it's nice to be back on the forum. What a great way to share BBQ experiences and knowledge!
  • RRP
    Options
    Well, rascal, how long will you be stateside before swimming back out to that oil drilling platform? 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'd never do ceramic on a trailer. Gravity feed is the way I'd go.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I have some friends who recently sold their food truck. They had either 2 XL or XXL BGE's on the tail end, mounted in a table. I'm not sure what was under the eggs supporting them, but at least one of them developed a significant crack from the bouncing around.

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    @Luvs to shoot clay

You will not be disappointed.

Get it painted EGG green...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga