Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Building a dining room table? OT

Options
Hey everyone. The wife is looking for a big dining room table like seats 8 to 10 but a nice big table is expensive and we are looking to save some money. I am not an expert by any means in wood working. I have access to a Guy with 30 years of experience in remodeling/ building houses and all of his tools as well as mine. Has anybody ever built one and would you advise me to wait until I have more experience? Here is a picture of the legs on the table my wife liked. Sorry it's the only one I got.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm not a skilled woodworker either, but it seems to me the legs/base would be the most difficult to make, where refinishing can be much easier.  I wonder if you couldn't find a used table (would take some searching) that has a base you like and then build a top to your specs?
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm not a skilled woodworker either, but it seems to me the legs/base would be the most difficult to make, where refinishing can be much easier.  I wonder if you couldn't find a used table (would take some searching) that has a base you like and then build a top to your specs?
    I was thinking the same thing.  A top that size wont be easy but it would be easier than turning legs.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    We needed a table that would set 10 on special occasions so we ended up at WoodYou. Found a table with a leaf that fit our needs and we did the finishing ourselves. We have had it for 16 year now and its still looking great.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    That's a pretty advanced build. The base isn't turned, but sawed out on a very large bandsaw. Probably wouldn't fit on a stock 14". Then you have to figure out how to flatten the top - again big equipment or lumpy results. I suggest looking for a simpler style that is appealing - maybe a contemporary or Shaker trestle table.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• bradk31
    bradk31 Posts: 48
    Options

Hey, feel free to pm me for any questions.  I make between 30 and 40 tables a year for people in all shapes and sizes. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    I would think you could search on the internet for a supplier of table legs and find something similar that friend could build the rest of the table from there.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Laminated leg, then bandsawn - takes a major saw to make that leg. A standard jointed trestle leg, like the top only smaller is easier - and the legs are under the damn table anyway, you hardly see them. 
    Jointing the top will not be easy, seating 10 to 12 you are looking at 102" to 120" of top - very hard to keep the ripples out of it...
    Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I think that leg could  be cut on a 14" bandsaw, using stopped cuts and a riser block.  And the base (the surface touching the floor) would clear a standard 14" throat.

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Oh, and I intend to throw one of these together one of these weekends:   =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-UteGmI7eE

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I think the table is a great thing to make yourself.  You'll get real satisfaction each time you pull your chair in.

That said, that is quite an advanced project, even if you have access to good equipment.

Do you have other smaller projects you can get a feel of your buddies tools on first?  Maybe a bookeshelf or desk in a kids room?

Whatever you do I'm sure you will have an enjoyable time working with your buddy, and ridding the world of some adult beverages. 

Phoenix 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    We needed a table that would set 10 on special occasions so we ended up at WoodYou. Found a table with a leaf that fit our needs and we did the finishing ourselves. We have had it for 16 year now and its still looking great.
    This is what we got - http://woodyou.com/dining-tables-jacksonville-fl/3687--96-inch-extension-farm-table.html

I don't remember how much we paid back in 2001.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Pro tip...I used to manage a large furniture store.  We could sell bases separate from tops and they were like 20-30% of he total cost.  You won't be able to do this at a mom and pop shop because of inventory reasons but your large stores should be able to.  If I knew your location I might be able to help you find one. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Pro tip...I used to manage a large furniture store.  We could sell bases separate from tops and they were like 20-30% of he total cost.  You won't be able to do this at a mom and pop shop because of inventory reasons but your large stores should be able to.  If I knew your location I might be able to help you find one. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Our wood you stores up here are just as expensive as buying an already finished table.

if you're not on a time crunch I would build yourself .. It is an advanced project but experience is the best teacher ! 

I say go for it and have fun.. 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    You have to start some where or you will never have the experience. With patience and help from @bradk31, you will turn out a fine table. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and start over. 
    Just take your time and plan ahead. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Search Craigslist for a deal on something used. Furniture quality wood is outrageous these days. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

My woodworking skills are novicely-novice to say the least.  My suggestion would be to source the top from someone skilled for reasons stated above.  I'd make a simple, square stock leg and go with trim pieces to make it more decorative. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Following with interest.  I would love to make a coffee table once my kids are over the destructive stage.