Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any good recipes / tips for smoked duck?

Options
I'm planning to cook a duck for the first time.  Any advice or recipes for rub or sauce are appreciated.
 Thanks!  

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Domestic or wild?

Whole or breasted?

Skin on or off?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Made some Duck Sausage a while back
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • manofmac
    Options
    @Spaightlabs - most likely a whole duck but open to suggestion.  My friends and I are having a friendly smoke-off competition. It's casual with no real rules/ guidelines, so I'm looking for any tips that might give me an edge. Thanks
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited February 2017
    Options

If I recall, Nature Boy is a duck aficionado.  I hear he's pretty busy these days, but maybe he can lend some wisdom 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    heres one i did along time ago, low and slow. it needs a strong tasting sauce

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/237371/duck-with-wild-rice

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Nice. How do you like it?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks for the shout out @johnnyp
    Busier than ever, but never too busy to talk about duck. Besides chicken, it is my favorite meat. I may be biased, but Tsunami Spin on Duck is a perfect match. Hard to describe. For whole duck, I try and loosen the skin from the breast as much as I can. Last time I cooked one, I tried a new trick I read. Pour boiling water all over the skin, then air dry in the fridge overnight. The next day, an hour or so before cooking, I rubbed it up good. You may need to moisten the outside of the skin a little to get the rub to stick.

I've been having really good results on a vertical stand sitting in a pan to collect the fat (there will be a lot). 325-350 is a good roasting temp. I usually go sans sauce, but you could make up something really nice with Hoisin.

That's what I got. Hope it helps!!
    Good luck
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    Nice. How do you like it?

Came out great, basically did it Italian Style, Have done Goose as well, added about 15-20% pork fat
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Take the duck, use olive oil and lots of seasoning and put it on a wood plank. Smoke at 225 for 4 hours. Pull it out and let it rest. Take the duck, throw it in the trash, and eat the wood plank.  ;)
    I think duck tastes horrible. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I did one spatchcocked. Dried the skin with kitchen towel, pieced all over with a skewer to render the fat. Rubbed with olive oil, then Dizzy Pig Game On rub, cooked indirect in the dome at 160C/320F with some cherry smoke chips until internal temperature was 74C/165F, rested covered for 10 minutes. Was lovely. Served with truffle and parsley chips ... or fries, depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

@Nature Boy I've tried duck with Game On and Tsunami Spin, the Game On wins for me hands down. Personal choice though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• manofmac
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips!
  • manofmac
    manofmac Posts: 21
    Options
    Today is the big Duck Smoke Off event!  I got a 6 lb D'Artagnan's duck from Wegmans.  Decided to dry brine overnight with a 2-1 honey-soy glaze and plenty of S&P.  This morning I added a honey-molasses-balsamic-port wine-OJ and orange zest glaze and then tossed on at 450 for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.  Now it's back to 275 which I think will take about 3 hours to cook.  I plan to brush with more of the glaze and then do a port wine with rasberry preserves reduction sauce.  

Judging is 3pm ET.  Wish me luck!  

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Good luck!  Standing by for the finish.......
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've done them inverted on a chicken stand indirect. Back towards the back of the egg. Breast stays at a lower temp. Leave it on the stand and pull out the indirect piece and put the breast toward the rear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON