Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it safe or not ... Beef Ribs

Options

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Damn the Friday night thread is going to be about Ozzies last meal
    Jacksonville FL
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    All cyrovac items should have a Julian day on them.  It is 3 digits and tells you when expired. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Please forgive @Jeepster47 he comes from the generation where they used to huddle around the wood burning stove on cold dark nights telling wild tales.  Hoping one day they would get that new fangled eluctricity that them rich folks on the hill had.

He has been invited over many a time, but he had to keep my mom away from my food so he could hold on to his "cook" badge.

I have cook many an expired item I found freezer burned in the back of his freezer.  While he was galavanting around the world for months at a time on his his trips and I was left to mow his acres of grass (he grew up in the age of castles when lawns were status) and was afraid to mar the lawn with trees, bushes, or anything else.  After 5 hrs of mowing, all sweaty and half  beat I would help him even more by cooking the old stuff he had stashed, and in his old age forgot about.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ryantt said:
    All cyrovac items should have a Julian day on them.  It is 3 digits and tells you when expired. 
    Dates are kind of like instructions.  I toss em.  Plus, the man puts use by dates to keep us throwing out perfectly good meat so we have to buy new stuff.  Its the same advertising agencies that spread chem trails that make us want new fancy things we don't need!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DaHawg
    DaHawg Posts: 18
    Options
    I would cook/eat them for sure. But I also eat food that has been dropped on the floor...
    A noob with an XL BGE. Youngstown, Ohio
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Here goes nothin'

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    ;) Enjoy the ribs! I'm interested in hearing what the flavor profile is like wet aged that long
    A Classic response Weber....just classic.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Here goes nothin'

Yeah, I'm not tossing those either. Hello gorgeous 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Or everything!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Oh man, these smell phenomenal!

• pgprescott
    Options
    Oh man, these smell phenomenal!

You gonna swap position on those or let em ride?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Those are going to be killer! What's the rub?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I am just guessing but it looks like it is Seasoned with salt, pepper, and habenero death dust.  :smile:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Reading for comprehension... ^^^^ well-played.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    This is why I love this forum!  Smiled through the whole read.  Now can't wait for finished ribs!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i cant believe you have not snacked on that little piece on the bottom one yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options
    i cant believe you have not snacked on that little piece on the bottom one yet
    Really good observation! @Jeepster47 told me he was always a slow learner. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Six weeks? I've got chicken in the fridge that's older than that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I hear that eating old chicken stunts your growth.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Only free range. The other has growth hormone that counters the phenomenon 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Only free range. The other has growth hormone that counters the phenomenon 

That makes sense.  I apparently ate a lot of fresh chicken with hormones when I was a kid.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Ribs are killer (hopefully, no pun).

Bottom rack is done, top rack will be another hour+.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No pot roast taste either, lots of beefiness.  Habenero dust put just the right kick in.

Now, the 24hr sickness countdown ...

https://youtu.be/9jK-NcRmVcw
  • pgprescott
    Options
    No pot roast taste either, lots of beefiness.  Habenero dust put just the right kick in.

Now, the 24hr sickness countdown ...

[IMG] https://g.co/kgs/YjLnT6 [\IMG]
    Oh, you'll know in an hour!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Pretty awesome btw. Enjoy!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    thanks for the video.  one of my sons said, "why aren't they in the lunchroom"  and the other one answered "because they're in Europe"

that made my day!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice ribs.  Set out all your LI policies so your better half won't have to be digging... ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Oh no !!  Now I'm worrying about my 180-day prime rib I just taste tested !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• pgprescott
    Options
    Ribs are killer (hopefully, no pun).

Bottom rack is done, top rack will be another hour+.
    Love the knife too.