Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Brisket

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
 I'm going to try this this weekend. They call it a point but it looks more like a flat to me? I'm going to follow #ShesGotEggs post and finish Sunday on the egg. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm thinking rub, sous vide 140 for approx 36 hrs and 250 indirect with a drip pan for 2 or 3 hrs with cherry chucks for smoke?

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    hope this works and please update through the process. Maybe there is finally I chance I can make a brisket that I actually like
  • GlennM
    Options
    I will for sure. I'm putting it in the sous vide fri evening. Expect to eat it Sunday at 6 or 7 pm
  • SmokeySailor
    Options
    I will be very curious to learn how much smoke the meat was able to take up.  I'm a little apprehensive to smoke big hunks of meat being that I'd have to get up at 4AM to start it since I don't have enough experience to trust leaving it all night.  From what I've read, cold meat takes up the most smoke and there's not much smoking done up to and after 150F.  Sous vide would be a great reliable way to shorten the Egg time and not as expensive as a DigiQ.  And I don't trust anything I read online until someone has actually tried it.  Good luck!
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I will be very curious to learn how much smoke the meat was able to take up.  I'm a little apprehensive to smoke big hunks of meat being that I'd have to get up at 4AM to start it since I don't have enough experience to trust leaving it all night.  From what I've read, cold meat takes up the most smoke and there's not much smoking done up to and after 150F.  Sous vide would be a great reliable way to shorten the Egg time and not as expensive as a DigiQ.  And I don't trust anything I read online until someone has actually tried it.  Good luck!
    Read this article - http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

Specifically...

Does meat stop taking on smoke?

There is a popular myth that at some point the meat stops taking on smoke. Sorry, but meat does not have doors that it shuts at some time during a cook. There is a lot of smoke moving through the cooking chamber although sometimes it is not very visible. If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke. Throw on a log and baste the meat and it will start taking on smoke again. Just don't baste so often that you wash off the smoke and rub.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am a long time early adopter of Sous Vide technology.
    From a scientific method it has laboratory precision, from a flavor/taste perspective it is somewhat lacking compared to traditional cooking methods.

When you use the traditional methods for cooking a brisket, it is the lucky recipient of a 10+ hour Baptism of smoke and fire. This is hard to duplicate with a long Sous Vide water bath followed by a comparatively short finish on a smoker or grill.

This is strictly the opinion of a very jaded Sous Vide early adopter.
    I'm sure other people will say that a short one hour smoke bath at the end will yield a much better bark and flavor profile.    
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    I would've left more of that 'white gold' on  ;)  Can't wait to see the result.
    canuckland
  • SmokeySailor
    Options
    GregW said:
    From a scientific method it has laboratory precision, from a flavor/taste perspective it is somewhat lacking compared to traditional cooking methods.

When you use the traditional methods for cooking a brisket, it is the lucky recipient of a 10+ hour Baptism of smoke and fire. This is hard to duplicate with a long Sous Vide water bath followed by a comparatively short finish on a smoker or grill.

I'm sure other people will say that a short one hour smoke bath at the end will yield a much better bark and flavor profile.    
    I'm with you on that, undoubtedly there has to be a trade off.  The purist would say that there is no substitute for the long smoke but I'm no smoked meat conoisseur and have not yet arrived at that point in life where I can sit and enjoy tending to the smoker as I lounge around in a hammock all day ;)  So if I can jump start the cooking process and knock it down to a 6-8 hr evolution then I'm all in.
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Looks like a mid section of the flat to me. Hard
    to tell, I drink more on Thursdays. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GlennM
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ok, Sunday dinner is swimming in the water!  Hope it's good!

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    standing by.. im rooting for you
  • GregW
    Options
    Standing by for the results......
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    GregW said:

When I've done brisket this way, the smoke bath at the end is for four hrs.  It picks up plenty of smoke.  Not as much as 12 hrs on the Egg, sure, but it's not zero either.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GlennM
    Options
    It's out of the bath and I'm just stabilizing the egg. I'm going to put it in at 225 for a couple of hours and then raise the temperature. Hope it turns out good!

• GlennM
    Options
    Ready for the smoke 

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Did you trim all of the fat cap off?
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    Did you trim all of the fat cap off?
    No.  There's no need - most of it renders right off.  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Following!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looking forward to the review
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GlennM
    Options
    I have it running at 250 now with apple chunks and chips.  I will check the temp in an hour or so and see what it is.  I may end up wrapping it for a bit,  not sure.  We'll see how it looks in an hour
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I have it running at 250 now with apple chunks and chips.  I will check the temp in an hour or so and see what it is.  I may end up wrapping it for a bit,  not sure.  We'll see how it looks in an hour
    It's already cooked, so no need to cook to a particular temp.  You're just adding smoke and bark and warming it up, basically. 
  • GlennM
    Options
    It isn't probing like butter and I'm not sure I want to see it med but don't want to dry it out either 
  • GlennM
    Options
    All done. Will report back after we eat 

• GlennM
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sliced

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice smoke ring
  • GlennM
    Options
    Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoke ring. I have only cooked a couple of briskets before and I would definitely do this again!
  • GregW
    Options
    The results speak for themselves..........a beautiful cook that looks very moist.
    The bark looks good also.
    Nice work!