Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin

Options
A 5.5 lb boneless porkloin is going on in a few minutes. It is dry marinating in Bombay Curry Ish right now. I thought about doing Mediterranean Ish or some other Dizzy Pig rubout I definitely wanted to try one that was low sugar this time. Raging River is great but been there, done that. Anyhow everybody can tell me which rub that I should have used.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You should try using a Bavarian inspired seasoning - brown mustard, rosemary, garlic,thyme, bay, and sage.  Salt and pepper of course.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well I have a rosemary bush in the front yard and everything but the brown mustard in the house. Maybe next time since it's been on the fire for about a half hour. Good idea anyhow, I'll write it down. Do you pound it into a paste and rub it on or put the mustard on first and use it to stick the other spices on?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    dry brown mustard seed.  crushed (I use a blade coffee grinder for spices)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Here's a parting shot. I regularly buy big boneless loins like that, but cut them into 1.25 pound pieces just for the two of us. I rub them and take to 143 internal indirect. Then I serve them cut in slices and drizzle on warmed Blue's Hog Tennessee Red sauce. TERRIFIC! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Okay, I was planning to freeze it already cooked, minus what every I could eat in the next 3 days. I can defrost it and make pork chile with it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Note to self: Don't leave your expensive silicone glove in the shed. Mice will chew holes in it because it smells like pig.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here's a parting shot. I regularly buy big boneless loins like that, but cut them into 1.25 pound pieces just for the two of us. I rub them and take to 143 internal indirect. Then I serve them cut in slices and drizzle on warmed Blue's Hog Tennessee Red sauce. TERRIFIC! 
    I serve that stuff both on the proteins and on the side with a straw! Yum! Two thumbs up
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and brine the next one. I'm a convert thanks to the Briner bucket

http://www.thebriner.com/
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I brine turkeys but in this case the pork loin went straight from the store to the rub dish followed by the egg. I did let it warm up to room temperature and dry marinate in the rub for about 30 minutes. Room in the fridge was limited.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Note to self: Don't leave your expensive silicone glove in the shed. Mice will chew holes in it because it smells like pig.
    Booo hiss. Mice suck!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I think that I will leave them a treat of D Con with a little pork juice flavoring.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Also don't use your expensive silicone mitts as protection caps on the end of your extension ladder! Never guess the fool who thought they were indestructible!  :o
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I really like @RRP's style.   Delicious! Plus if you have any thin slices left over, you're on your way to some great pork noodles!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon