Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza crust trouble

Options
I've been grilling pizzas for quite a while but I've developed a new problem. Ever since I've been making them on the egg, it seems that I can't get the Pizza done before the crust is over done. My set up is as such: place setter, legs up grate, and the pizza stone on top. Today the grill was 550° at the dome. Here are pictures of the pizzas and one of the crust. I'm hoping someone could offer me some advice.

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,595
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I seldom cook pizza in the egg. From what I've heard/seen, you want the pie as high in the dome as possible ...
    for example, this is how Molly does it.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1705206#Comment_1705206

canuckland
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Drop your temp to 450.  Roll your dough a little thinner.  Don't over do the toppings or the sauce.  Pull it after 7 minutes.  Get it as high in the dome as you can.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I concur with @HUb - either ease back on the toppings or cool the grill down.  Super hot is great for thin crust and light toppings that have already been sweated.  Get a thick layer of cheese and sauce, and it takes longer for the top to look "done" (i.e. to get brown), and the crust burns.

Analogous to casseroles - if made in a deep dish, cook longer at lower temp, and vice versa.

All that said, your pizza looks beautiful and professional to me.  Now I'm hungry... ;-)

Eric
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,750
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You didn't say how long you left the BGE stabilize, but I think even more important than whether the temp is 450 or 550 is that you let it settle in at that desired temp for 30-45 minutes before throwing the pizza on. And yes, the higher in the dome the better.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    If you want to keep your setup the same, try parchment paper or a pizza screen.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2017
    Options
    From what you wrote, there may not be a decent enough air gap between the PS and the stone. I tried that once, and got the same result as you, put a larger air gap and and all was well, which is what @Canugghead pictured.

Also higher into the dome so that the radiant heat is closer to the pizza topping. I use fire bricks to raise up. Feel free to check out this blog post on how I do pizza ... which isn't a panacea, just how I do it:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/08/24/cooking-pizza-with-a-big-green-egg/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Sugar in the dough will allow it to burn easily. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • And that friends is the real power of this forum. Thanks the advices all. I'll get some fire bricks and cool it down a bit for pizza this thick. 

@hub thinner is the plan, I somewhat rushed the process. 

I concur with @HUb - either ease back on the toppings or cool the grill down.

All that said, your pizza looks beautiful and professional to me.  Now I'm hungry... ;-)

Eric
    Thanks @reinhart36. We like the pizza thicker, so cooler temp and longer cooking is likely the way. 

@stillh2Oegger it was that hot for about 30 mins before the pizza went on. Will give it a little longer next time. 

@stormbringer and @canugghead bricks it is to get it higher in the dome, and add air space.  I'll read the posts, as well. Thanks. 

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

New Berlin, WI

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lower the temp (500) is good and check your sugar content.  First and foremost don't overload the toppings.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Put you pizza stone high in the dome. I put about a 4" gap between the platesetter and pizza stone to keep the pizza stone from over heating. Remove your top vent completely so you can see what's happening in your cooker without opening the dome. Control your baking temperature with just your bottom vent.

Preheat your pizza stone to your desired temperature by checking it with an infrared thermometer through your top vent hole. Use a silicone baking sheet to make loading, rotating and unloading your pizza easier.

Trim the baking sheet so none of it is exposed to direct heat and it will servive 900° temperature without burning... even though the information sheet says 475°, I've done it many times baking Neapolitan Pizza at 900°. 

When using All Purpose or Bread flour pizza dough bake your pizza at from 450° or up to 600°. No more or it will burn before the toppings are done. 

When making authentic Neapolitan Pizza dough and baking at real high temps use "00" grade flour. It's been processed to remove most of the natural sugar from the flour so it won't burn at 1000° F.

• HogHeaven
    Options
    For a real authentic Neapolitan Pizza use "00" grade flour. Bake at 800° to 1000°. Use very little sauce and topping and it will be done in 120 seconds or less with nice leapording on the bottom of your crust. 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    The best tip I was given is to use an infrared thermometer so you can shoot the temp of the stone.   The dome thermometer could day 400, but the stone could be 600, so it's a crapshoot if you don't know how hot the stone is.  I got one for $20 off amazon and it's made a huge difference in my consistency.   Depending on the dough I wait for a stone temp of 550-650.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • @NewBerlinEggprentice:
    Eisenhower or West?

Transplant, but in Viking territory. My better half is a Ike grad.

New Berlin, WI

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @NewBerlinEggprentice,  cool. Im from south side and my mother is buried at a cemetary pretty close to NB Ike

I remember they had michigan wolverine unis that looked sharp....
  • HogHeaven said:
    Put you pizza stone high in the dome. I put about a 4" gap between the platesetter and pizza stone to keep the pizza stone from over heating. Remove your top vent completely so you can see what's happening in your cooker without opening the dome. Control your baking temperature with just your bottom vent.

Good advice. Thanks you.
    GoooDawgs said:
    The best tip I was given is to use an infrared thermometer so you can shoot the temp of the stone.   The dome thermometer could day 400, but the stone could be 600, so it's a crapshoot if you don't know how hot the stone is.  I got one for $20 off amazon and it's made a huge difference in my consistency.   Depending on the dough I wait for a stone temp of 550-650.
    I'll look into getting one.

New Berlin, WI

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Careful looking down the hole.

Fishless @ 1200° =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Careful looking down the hole.

Fishless @ 1200° =)

F16 in full after-burner - but headed in the wrong direction !!!!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    HogHeaven said:

When making authentic Neapolitan Pizza dough and baking at real high temps use "00" grade flour. It's been processed to remove most of the natural sugar from the flour so it won't burn at 1000° F.
    Never heard the claim that 00 flour receives processing to remove the natural sugar.  I thought it was pretty much finely ground endosperm.  I would like to hear more about this.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.