Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Valentines Rib Eye reverse sear

Options
 My butcher had VD prime rib eye steaks on sale for VD day.
Waiting for the grate temp to get to 250 for my first reverse sear.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Looking good!  I wonder if there is meat glue involved?? I'm sure they will be excellent. 

(edit: after further inspection I think that is just a thick ribeye that has been butterflied).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    dstearn said:
     My butcher had VD prime rib eye steaks on sale for VD day.
    Waiting for the grate temp to get to 250 for my first reverse sear.

I think they cut an extra thick rib eye and split it.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Pulled the steaks at 120 internal, set up for direct at 650 and seared 1 min per side.
    Steaks could have been a little more rare and I would prefer a darker crust. Next time I will pull at 115 and sear more at the end.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Great meal man!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Didn't reverse dear, but I cooked it between 525-575 and did a pretty good job. Got some bacon wrapped dates and mozzarella and better baked potato 
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Pulled the steaks at 120 internal, set up for direct at 650 and seared 1 min per side.
    Steaks could have been a little more rare and I would prefer a darker crust. Next time I will pull at 115 and sear more at the end.

Make sure to dry the surface well before searing. That's typically what caused me to not get the crust I wanted without overcooking.
  • dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:

Make sure to dry the surface well before searing. That's typically what caused me to not get the crust I wanted without overcooking.
    I did brush some oil on the steak before applying salt and pepper. Should I not use oil prior to rub or should I just let the steak sit on a rack in the fridge for a few hours?