Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missed the mark on sous vide

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Should have gone a little lower on the sous vide temp (127 degrees). The sear on the mini kind of pushed this past where I wanted to be. Also, I underseasoned in the sous vide bag and tried to make it up post-sear. Still a nice meal but I'm disappointed in how the steak finished. The farro turned out pretty good for the first time try too. Grilled romaine with Ruhlman bacon, fresh parm, and dressing.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    edited February 2017
    Options
    127 should have been fine.  Sear looks long on the top side.  Hotter and faster on the sear.

With that said, looks good from here.  I would eat it for sure.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Also, pat dry before you sear.  Caramelizes better.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac - I had the mini at 600. Must not have been dry enough. My coals could have been a little more red to help too.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    In my experience, I have found that I prefer to Sous Vide to a much lower temp. Generally 100 Deg F. This allows me to cook the steak longer on the Egg, Longer time on the Egg allows the steak to sear better and develop that great grilled flavor.
    I have found that It's hard to get the great grilled flavor when you sear only for 30 seconds on each side in the more traditional Sous Vide steak method.

Your steak and meal does look good.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    127 is Ok if your goal is medium.  Carryover cook and the sear get you past that.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Do you know what the final IT ended up at? 

Also, did you sear with the top open or shut? If I can I like searing with it open so the steak isn't surrounded by such hot indirect heat. 

But still, it's kind of funny you find that a fail - it looks pretty damned good to me!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blind99 said:

Also, did you sear with the top open or shut? If I can I like searing with it open so the steak isn't surrounded by such hot indirect heat. 

But still, it's kind of funny you find that a fail - it looks pretty damned good to me!!
    You're one mean man. =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

You're one mean man. =)
    I'm just bitter. This is a great looking meal. We can't all cook like you (or your wife, I know there's controversy about who does the actual cooking)

:lol:
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • minniemoh
    Options
    blind99 said:

Thanks for compliment. I guess maybe I shouldn't call it a fail. Just another learning experience.

You know, I actually didn't check finish temp. My guess is the high 130's. I seared with the top open but I don't think I had enough glowing coals.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Did you sear with the lid closed?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    127 is Ok if your goal is medium.  Carryover cook and the sear get you past that.
    Also, remove steak from bag before searing.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Did you sear with the lid closed?
    Open.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Also, remove steak from bag before searing.
    Oh... Maybe I'll try that next time too. You guys are always here to help me improve. I like that about you all. =)
    eggAddict from MN!