Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL or L & MM?

Options
2»

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have a LBGE and it fits my needs very well cooking for 4-6 people. But I wish I a
    s had a smaller egg for those time when I just want to do 2 or 3 hotdogs or burgers. Something that uses less lump. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I have a MM and XL, Bought MM first followed by XL. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I have a LBGE and it fits my needs very well cooking for 4-6 people. But I wish I a
    s had a smaller egg for those time when I just want to do 2 or 3 hotdogs or burgers. Something that uses less lump. 
    The medium is what you need. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I have a Large and a Kamado Joe Jr.  Any more, the KJ does the vast majority of our cooks (just two of us) like tonight's pork chops, but we still get good use from the Large.  Good combination and love them both.
    Ditto
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    i have XL, MM and L and definitely use L and MM waaaayyyy more then the XL.   

but if you go L and MM route be sure to get adj rig and extender spider stone setup fro. Cgs.....
    Get guru adapters for both and either flameboss or guru pit viper setup for at least one, and get the lodge 5qt dutch oven double dutch so you can use it in L or MM

Lastly, if you want to add one more item, get the wok

Youll never look back
  • EggHeadJohn
    EggHeadJohn Posts: 17
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I received a MM as a present this past Christmas, I cook for the lady friend and myself about two times a week. Once I move to another place I plan to add a Large BGE at that time. So to the OP, my vote is MM and Large. 

Minimax BGE
    Houston,TX
    Want to see what's cooking? Follow me on instagram @eggheadjohn
  • lahlooha
    Options
    XL, Go big or stay home. :)
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Good Evening,

I'm looking at a few options, and wondering if anyone has (or has contemplated) the following set up: BGE XL or a Large and Mini-Max?

I'd say 80% of my cooks are for a family of 4 (albeit 2 growing boys). We normally do 5-6 burgers, 3-4 steaks, 3-4 chicken breasts. I'd say maybe once every 6-8 weeks we'll have folks over and do steaks, burgers, or I'll smoke a pork butt or do 3-4 racks of ribs. Maybe once or twice a year, we'd have a larger crowd.

I feel like the XL would just be overkill to mostly do burgers/chicken/steak. I have an Akorn JR (same size as MM) and have had no issues feeding my family w/ the above items (I also like how I use about 1lb of lump/cook). Quick to start up and get going.

On the Large, I believe I can do about 4 racks of ribs, 3-4 butts, a packer brisket & ribs if I'm using the Adjustable Rig. If I use that, plus a MM, it seems I could feel a fair amount of people--or worst case, I have to do multiple rounds or cook in advance.

My final constraint is that I move around every few years, so I need something portable, and smaller would probably be better since I never know how much porch space I'll have, if any. It may live in my garage and come out a few times a week to cook.

Thanks and sorry for the novel--just not sure which would be best!
    Mike

Buy a Blackstone for your Burgers and Steaks and quick cooks, My eggs MOSTLY are for long cooks
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We have an XL and do use the space as we have a big family, but I am thinking about a smaller Egg as well for 2 person cooking and maybe portable for taking away in the camper.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The medium is what you need. 
    Why a medium instead of a small?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group