Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty handling fee???

Options
13»

Comments

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I had a firebox crack a few years after purchase and tried to get it covered at the dealer who is only about 10 blocks from my house.  Initially given the run around and told I had to produce a receipt which I no longer could find.  I was able to find the credit card statement which showed an $1100 purchase from their store and forwarded that to them.  Despite that, they said they had no record of any purchase from me, which was simply unbelievable.  Begrudgingly, they did eventually agree to get me a new firebox.

Overall, lesson learned.  The premium you pay for the supposedly great warranty has sketchy value depending on the dealer.  This is a fundamental problem with the BGE business model.  If/when I make another ceramic grill purchase, I'll value the warranty claims a lot less.  Consider me not impressed in comparison with other premium products or even Costco.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    I had a firebox crack a few years after purchase and tried to get it covered at the dealer who is only about 10 blocks from my house.  Initially given the run around and told I had to produce a receipt which I no longer could find.  I was able to find the credit card statement which showed an $1100 purchase from their store and forwarded that to them.  Despite that, they said they had no record of any purchase from me, which was simply unbelievable.  Begrudgingly, they did eventually agree to get me a new firebox.

Overall, lesson learned.  The premium you pay for the supposedly great warranty has sketchy value depending on the dealer.  This is a fundamental problem with the BGE business model.  If/when I make another ceramic grill purchase, I'll value the warranty claims a lot less.  Consider me not impressed in comparison with other premium products or even Costco.

You said it......all depends on the dealer.  And it's not like it's costing them anything!!

I just took something back to Costco I bought 6.5 yrs ago.  I had to return some other stuff, and it just broke so I figured why not try.  Took a few minutes for them to find it in the computer and got it credited to my account no questions asked.  WOW!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Costco is the standard bearer for handling returns ..... if you keep your membership.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    These places that take returns no questions asked are not to be glorified. Like Walmart, they are bullies. They shove the product down the suppliers throat. The consumer should be held to normal standards. You shouldn't be able to just f up something and then bring it back. Where is our character and sense of fairness???
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Costco is the standard bearer for handling returns ..... if you keep your membership.
    They're a great company.  LL Bean is even better as far as returns go.  Something about great honest customer service that makes people feel like part of a community and not be complete d!cks.  Wish some egg dealers weren't trying to renege on their service.  Sure, there will be a few that abuse it, but *most* people have a conscience.  In terms of customer loyalty and profit, I see evidence that business model has shown it pays off, while others, like Comcast, are looking for alternatives.
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cssmd27 said:

I scan all of my receipts that I need for warranty purposes and save them in one folder. Makes it easier to find when I need it. Can also take a picture and save it.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • pgprescott
    Options
    They're a great company.  LL Bean is even better as far as returns go.  Something about great honest customer service that makes people feel like part of a community and not be complete d!cks.  Wish some egg dealers weren't trying to renege on their service.  Sure, there will be a few that abuse it, but *most* people have a conscience.  In terms of customer loyalty and profit, I see evidence that business model has shown it pays off, while others, like Comcast, are looking for alternatives.
    I agree whole heartedly about good fair honest customer service, but there are people out there that wear shoes for a year and bring them back? That's dishonest. They take those shoes and shove them down the suppliers throat using the fear of loosing their business as a club over the head. I don't respect that at all. They appear to be "the good guy " when they are really just bullying their business partners. They risk nothing. Most people are honest, so what's wrong with calling out those who aren't. It bothers me that these dishonest people are allowed to skate in the name of good customer service. That's all. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I wonder if I could take back any food I didn't eat  before expiration back to Costco for a refund.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Before Costco, there was Nordstrom and their return policy.  Good to see them tightening up in this way, but sad they have to.

$2 Billion of Retail Fraud Could Be Ruining Nordstrom’s Legendary Return Policy
  • Legume
    Options
    If you are lucky enough to get your product onto Costco's shelves, you will sell far more if it than you ever would have otherwise.  In return for access to those customers, you will have to eat some returns.  There is a line of people trying to get their products into Costco, eyes wide open.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I wonder if I could take back any food I didn't eat  before expiration back to Costco for a refund.
    IIRC, they will take it back but give you a dirty look as they may not be able to resell it (e.g., meats and produce). Canned or packaged goods I believe are OK to resell.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:
    If you are lucky enough to get your product onto Costco's shelves, you will sell far more if it than you ever would have otherwise.  In return for access to those customers, you will have to eat some returns.  There is a line of people trying to get their products into Costco, eyes wide open.
    It doesn't make it right or ethical. I see it as a small part of our societal degradation. We wonder why people are always me me me? Why they always feel they're owed something. This type of policy reinforces that behavior. I just don't like it. It's easy to overlook, but it's overall indent on society just might be a net negative. Impossible to measure obviously.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I had the same issue at a dealer in Tampa - I posted a message on here about it at the time. They asked for $15 per piece when I had a fire ring and firebox for my large break.  I didn't buy that egg from them, but did buy a large from them for my Father in Law as a retirement gift.  They said they charge all warranty replacements that $15 charge even those who did buy from them.  Funny thing when I went to pick it up, I kept complaining about it, and they told me $20 would cover for both pieces. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    It doesn't make it right or ethical. I see it as a small part of our societal degradation. We wonder why people are always me me me? Why they always feel they're owed something. This type of policy reinforces that behavior. I just don't like it. It's easy to overlook, but it's overall indent on society just might be a net negative. Impossible to measure obviously.  
    The people suck problem is different than the company policy problem.  There will always be people that take more or less advantage of a policy or situation.  It was suggested just this morning in another thread that someone should go ahead and pick up a damaged Weber smoker at half price because "you know Weber will ship you the replacement parts for free" and the Weber customer service was lauded as a positive.  Is Weber supporting unethical customer behavior also?  I would bet the intent of the Weber warranty was not to support that, but probably not worth the cost in $ or reputation to enforce.  It's a big world of gray out there, not black and white.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    Before Costco, there was Nordstrom and their return policy.  Good to see them tightening up in this way, but sad they have to.

$2 Billion of Retail Fraud Could Be Ruining Nordstrom’s Legendary Return Policy
    I was talking to customer service at Costco the other day.  They are having problems with people getting price adjustments without receipts.  To get a price adjustment (item you bought goes on sale a few days later) you used to just go up the CS and they would pull it up on their computer and pay you the difference.  Their policy changed to require a receipt because people would buy a big ticket item a few days before an advertised sale.  During the sale they would go to *multiple* Costcos to get *multiple* price adjustments.  There systems take a while to update so people took advantage of the loophole.  Now you need your physical receipt for a price adjustment.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2017
    Options
    They're a great company.  LL Bean is even better as far as returns go. 
    You know LL Bean founder's granddaughter is a republican and big Trump supporter/donor, right?  B)
    Yes, you can take that back, and yes I have.  I've bought expensive meat there before that has gone bad before the sell-by date (and I always take a cooler & freezer packs--I get the meat LAST and go straight home too.)  Same deal on fruit or other fresh foods that have been bad.  If it's something cheap, no big deal, stuff happens.  But if I'm already taking some piece of clothing that didn't fit for the wife or kids, then I'll take something else.

I agree whole heartedly about good fair honest customer service, but there are people out there that wear shoes for a year and bring them back? That's dishonest. They take those shoes and shove them down the suppliers throat using the fear of loosing their business as a club over the head.

I have heard of people buying coats or shoes for their kids and taking them back as soon as the kid outgrows them.  But I taken back kids clothes that have ripped after a few times--dues to poor quality, not something the kid did.  So I take a lot of stuff back there, but I buy a TON of stuff there too.    Why should I be punished for the actions of the bad actors?  I'm honest about it.  I don't abuse it--if something is a legit piece of junk, I take it back.  With their high standards, it shouldn't have been on the shelf in the first place.  The manufacturer is responsible for the quality/longevity and they agreed to Costco's refund policy, so it's not Costco's fault when the returns come in......they knew the risk before they signed on that line.

If they revise their policy to make it more restrictive, I'm not going to buy near as much stuff as I do there.  I won't quit, I'll just spend less.  I bought my wife's Fitbit from Costco for more money than at Amazon, because I knew if it broke I could take it back easily.  I just bought $1000 worth of interior LED lighting for our warehouse from Costco too (and $300 from Sam's for the exterior.)  Same deal--could have gotten it in bulk cheaper on eBay, but it was more convenient to go pick it up down the street and not have to fight anyone if it turned out to be junk.

I've never heard of it, but maybe if they find people abusing the policy they should revoke their membership.  Sounds like a bad PR move, but I've had to ask people to stop buying our charcoal.  We can not guarantee a rock-free bag and we're not going to give you a free bag EVERYtime you find a rock.....there's a half pound of extra charcoal in there for that already.  Had someone claim to buy 10 bags, claimed find one rock in the 7th & 8th bag, and wanted a refund for all 10 bags.  Told them to return the 7th-8th bag and the 2 unused bags, but then the store was too far away......wanted a check from me for 10 bags.  No receipt and wouldn't tell me which store they bought them at.  Get lost, not falling for that scam.

• Legume
    Options
    Good to know @Ozzie_Isaac I rarely keep my Costco receipts because I know they can pull purchase history up.  I also don't chase price adjustments often, but when I have, it has been meaningful and usually suggested by an employee that says, buy it now, come back Monday when it's on sale.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Costco had to change their return policy on electronics as people were regularly returning TVs and computers after a few years to get the newest model. Not sure how they address the Super Bowl TV phenomenon (people buy big screen for Super Bowl party and return). Maybe it's not that big of an issue anymore given how cheap TVs have become.