Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking chicken, wood advice needed

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When you smoke pieces of chicken, what wood (or woods) do you use to give it flavor, and how many pieces do you put in the Egg? I am having trouble getting the right amount of smokiness (to much sometimes, not enough other times)[p]Thanks, [p]Bret

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The Virginian,
    I use apple or cherry chips not chunks, since poultry soaks up the smoke quickly. Usually a small hand full that has been soaked in water.[p]Mike

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Jack Daniels barrel chips....goes with everything.

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    The Virginian,
    I tried a small chunk (1"x2x1ish) of maple the other night with some legs and thighs (8 pieces in all), and was quite pleased with the results. Probably eggsperiment with a little bigger piece next time, but it was pretty close... (though smokiness is so subjective). The maple flavor seemed to work really well.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hi, Brett. I really like pecan smoke with chicken. How are you smoking your birds? I just posted a method I've really taken a liking to in response to the spatchcock thread above. I cook it skin side up indirect on the raised grid at ~250° until you can pull a leg quarter off the bird.[p]Jim
  • The Virginian,[p]I use guava wood with chicken...best I ever made...[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options

I agree with the pecan as my wood of choice for chicken. A side benefit is the smell of the wood itself to me. It actually smells like pecans (imagine that). I use a small handful of unsoaked chips and generally a direct spatchcock type cook at 350ish. [p]
    DrR