Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - chuck roast sous vide

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
It's been claimed that chuck roast can be turned into prime rib. @fishlessman
Read some articles and watched some videos. Putting it to the test. I bought a 4lb choice roast. Little Olive oil - salt, pepper, Weber's garlic and herb rub and a little garlic powder. Gonna go 25hrs in the water bath at 139.5, plan is to sear open lid over screaming hot coals just prior to service. Probably make some kind of horse radish sauce :-) really looking forward to this! 

Any my comments suggestions welcome this is my third sous vide cook

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    This is going to be great!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hans61
    Options
    I'm going to add some water before bed. How much h2o do you think I'll lose in 8hrs?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cover it with foil or plastic wrap and you won't loose much at all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Keep us posted. I run mine cooler, 131-134, so I am interested to see how 139 turns out. SV chuck roast is great stuff. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hans61
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Keep us posted. I run mine cooler, 131-134, so I am interested to see how 139 turns out. SV chuck roast is great stuff. 
    Will do :-) swmbo likes medium better than med rare
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blind99
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    blind99 said:
    Will do :-) swmbo likes medium better than med rare
    I did a lamb roast last weekend. SV at 131 for 24 hrs then 138 for another 6 hours so it would be closer to medium, as my family mostly doesn't like it as pink as I do. It turned out very well, almost too tender for my liking. There's a lot for me to learn about all the time/temperature possibilities. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    @blind99 The YouTube videos I watched on chuck ranged from 8hrs to 48hrs. Here's a good one that went 18

https://youtu.be/nRR5sfs0gFQ

would you go less time on the lamb next time?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Great video. Looks like a good cook. Can't wait to see yours!

XLBGE 
  • blind99
    Options

A little less on the lamb wouldn't hurt, and I wouldn't go out of my way to go really long, like 48 hours. 

The lamb leftovers were awesome.  (Gyros, lamb ragu on papardelle.)  

But I've never tried 48 hours with chuck, either, so it's just a guess.  I think your plan is a great starting point and I'm looking forward to the final result.

• Hans61
    Options
    Approx one hour left!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    Staying tuned 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I was hoping it was soon!

XLBGE 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks exceptional.  Standing by for the cut pix.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    looks delicious, how was it?  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    do I detect some heat warp on the siding behind the performer?
  • Hans61
    Options
    I dig it! Probably next time will go 135 on the sv 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    Looks good 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Options
    Yeah pretty sure it was like that when we moved here. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great job.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    That's exactly what I would tell my wife.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hans61
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    That's exactly what I would tell my wife.
    Hehe :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Looks really good!
    whats the texture? Is it more like a sliced steak than a pulled roast? Would it shred? 

XLBGE 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Looks really good!
    whats the texture? Is it more like a sliced steak than a pulled roast? Would it shred? 
    It's tender, swmbo said it was in between sliced steak and pulled roast flavor, texture was more like steak, it wouldn't shred that easy 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Great cook. I've gotta get a Sous vide... but really want a scope for my birthday present to myself. 

XLBGE 
  • blind99
    Options
    Looks really good!
    Very nice

the texture of the ones I have done have been like a lean strip steak. I really like it. Definitely doesn't shred. And leftovers are great for sandwiches, chili, etc